APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Large embedded CC export crashes app

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Large embedded CC export crashes app
on Nov 4, 2019 at 6:06:36 pm

I have a 3 hr. 45 min. HD sequence that is a linear programming block made up of several TV shows. All with embedded captions. They have been extracted and display properly. When I try to export the project (sequence) as a ProRes master with embedded captions, FCPX crashes. Shorter exports are fine. I have tried this on 2 different machines and it crashes on both. Premiere exports the same sequence without issue. Thoughts?

FCPX 10.4.7 macOS 10.14.6
2013 Mac Pro and iMac Pro

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Large embedded CC export crashes app
on Nov 4, 2019 at 10:02:28 pm

Can you export the captions themselves (File > export captions) without crashing?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 4, 2019 at 10:55:46 pm

I haven't tested that yet. Had to move to Premiere to keep the job on track. I'll test in the morning.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2019 at 1:25:05 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Nov 5, 2019 at 1:26:08 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Can you export the captions themselves (File > export captions) without crashing?"

I did some quick testing this morning. Yes, I can export just the .scc caption file.

The odd thing is that right after 2 hr 30 min the captions quit displaying in the viewer. The rest are still on the timeline and I can edit them. I just can't display captions after 2 hr 30 min.

As a test, I exported the range from 00 to 2 hr 30 min and that was successful. So I wonder if there is some sort of limit involved. If I try the while project/sequence (3 hr 45 min) then it crashes right at the "preparing to share" stage.

This 2013 Mac Pro has 64GB RAM.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Nov 5, 2019 at 8:20:20 pm

Maybe you could try to make a copy of your project, export the scc, delete the actual captions and re-import them.
Another option make a compound from the project and apply the captions to this.

Different from PPro FCP locks caption to "clips" which can cause problems,

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2019 at 9:49:15 pm

Right now I'm running into a different issue. I brought these long ProRes master files (exported from PPro) into Compressor. I'm trying to export 720x480 MPEG2 PS with embedded captions. It won't run a batch and flags tons of errors identified as "Exceeds Data Limit". Any thoughts as to what that means? The ProRes files all seem to display correctly in VLC, QT Player, and Switch.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]