APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Apply Different Color Correction to Different Parts of Same Clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Schoenbaum
Apply Different Color Correction to Different Parts of Same Clip
on Nov 3, 2019 at 2:36:40 pm

I have a long clip that I'd like to apply different color corrections to including with and without a lut. I thought if I used the blade on the timeline and therefore created different, separate sections, I could apply different corrections. However, the corrections seem to get applied across every section. Any way to definitively separate out clips from a long take?

Thanks!

FCPX 10.4.7, OS 10.15.1, MBP

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Apply Different Color Correction to Different Parts of Same Clip
on Nov 3, 2019 at 6:02:47 pm

Blading and applying corrections to each section should work. I do it all the time. I'm trying to think of a circumstance where it would be applied globally and I can't really think of anything in the timeline that would do that. Sorry, not much help I know, but it should be working for you.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Steve Schoenbaum
on Nov 3, 2019 at 6:17:21 pm

Thanks, Jeff. I've bladed clips a thousand times as well without this issue. But since you responded it made me think it may be how I bladed (although it never happened before) and I tried the "blade all" and that seemed to work. Don't know why...just moving on...thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Schoenbaum
on Nov 3, 2019 at 6:23:22 pm

I take it back! Still not working the way I'd expect. Using the blade on a single clip, nothing above or below but can't apply or delete the LUT without it affecting every part of the segmented clip.

Return to posts index

Steve Schoenbaum
on Nov 3, 2019 at 6:35:33 pm

And, more information...

This seems to be all about the LUT. When I use the blade, yes, I can do whatever I want to the different segments without affecting the others parts. BUT, it seems the LUT is either on or off for ALL parts of the clip regardless of blading them into separate parts. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Robert Olding
on Nov 4, 2019 at 4:00:37 pm

How are you applying the LUT? ( i.e. via an Effect or via the Inspector)

Robert Olding

Studio Eight | Director of Photography
http://www.studioeightmn.com
Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Steve Schoenbaum
on Nov 5, 2019 at 12:32:16 am

First, I'd rather not have the lut at all. I prefer bringing in s-log footage, doing my own color correction and then applying that. However, I don't see an option for NOT bring in the lut. So, the lut is there and, of course, I can turn it off in the inspector. But, turn it off, turn it on; it seems to get applied to the entire clip regardless of how I might have cut the longer clip into smaller segments.

Return to posts index

Robert Olding
on Nov 5, 2019 at 3:34:16 pm

Yes, the Camera LUT setting in the Inspector applies to the entire clip regardless if any portion of it is in the Timeline or not. Its main purpose it to apply a look to LOG footage to get a decent color and contrast without having to grade.

Robert Olding

Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Steve Schoenbaum
on Nov 5, 2019 at 4:10:23 pm

Thanks, Robert. I just like to have the control, not Apple. If I want to use a part of a long clip in one section and color it incorporating the LUT but then use another section of that clip somewhere else with a different color scheme without the LUT, it ain't gonna work. Got that.

I'd also like to bring in s-log footage without the LUT attached at all, but I don't think I can do that either. Not a big deal; just a few extra steps.

Return to posts index

Robert Olding
on Nov 5, 2019 at 5:47:44 pm

If you want to apply a LUT selectively to clips/cuts that are in the Timeline, you can use the "Custom LUT" effect. It's found in the Effects browser.

Robert Olding

Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Steve Schoenbaum
on Nov 5, 2019 at 5:57:04 pm

Right! Thanks! That's helpful...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 8, 2019 at 5:32:27 pm

Another way to go might be the trick of creating a pseudo adjustment layer and putting your LUT in that. There's videos on youtube about making an adjustment layer in FCPX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]