APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Best way to use 29.97i in 24p timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Best way to use 29.97i in 24p timeline?
on Oct 15, 2019 at 9:46:20 pm
Last Edited By Noam Osband on Oct 15, 2019 at 9:49:33 pm

A common shitty problem: I have some 29.97i footage I need to use in a 23.98fps project. To be specific, it's PF24 footage shot with a Canon camera.

In years past, I'd deinterlace the footage in Cinema Tools using reverse telecine before putting it in my timeline. I've now upgraded to Mojave so Cinema Tools is now out of the question. So, what's the best way to use?

I know of two options: convert it in Compressor or having FCPX do it. Any advice or thoughts on this? Having never done this before with either program, any specs to use or things to care about?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Best way to use 29.97i in 24p timeline?
on Oct 16, 2019 at 9:22:55 pm

Have you tried simply dropping it in the timeline and editing?

FCPX does a decent job depending on the footage.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 16, 2019 at 9:51:24 pm

[Noam Osband] "I have some 29.97i footage I need to use in a 23.98fps project. To be specific, it's PF24 footage shot with a Canon camera."

I have had good results adding 29.97i material to a 23.98p project, and in Inspector under "i" tab, pick "Settings", then enable the Deinterlace check box for that clip.

Also, since you are combining a non-multiple frame rate it is generally smoother if you also pick Rate Conform>Frame Sampling>Optical Flow for that clip. That is under the Inspector video tab. This is slower to render but it avoids motion artifacts.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 18, 2019 at 9:47:31 pm

As Jeremy and Joe have noted, FCPX does a pretty good job of this, but I've also had a few instances where the cadence isn't right... missing frames followed by duplicate frames. I also used to use Cinema Tools, and more recently, JES Deinterlacer.

In looking for another method to batch a bunch of PF24 clips, I found that Compressor (which I've never used for reverse telecine before) actually has a setting in the Quality section of the inspector:

Still haven't tried it, but definitely worth having a look at if you have a batch of clips that Final Cut misses the cadence on.

Doug Metz

Dalton Agency

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]