APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Export Time

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Export Time
on Sep 23, 2019 at 7:38:14 pm

I have about 28 90-minute videos that I need to export so I can send them to my client for approval. Each video is taking a loooong time to export (around 1 hour each).

Is this typical?

Also the projects are all 1080P. But I'm exporting them as 720P MP4 files. Would the conversion process be causing the export to be that long?

Would I be better off keeping the exports at 1080P?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Export Time
on Sep 24, 2019 at 3:26:25 pm

Compressor can do automated batch renders, so, multiple versions at once and overnight, and it will email or text you to tell you the status. How well that all works for you rather depends on the robustness of your particular rig.

As I'm learning Premiere, one nice feature it has is one-stop batch output of as many formats as you need, right from the editing interface. Though it's probably actually just leveraging their version of Compressor, aka Media Encoder. Still, they make setting that up relatively simple.

Sometimes, you want to master at a resolution higher than your end client deliverables, because that's a far-thinking thing to do. Sometimes, it's better to master your timeline at the final output specs from the start, and this situation sounds like one of those times for you.

I don't know if your facility has multiple networked edit suites but maybe this is a case where all your editors can use a shared copy of the master and team up on running the exports from multiple machines at once.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 24, 2019 at 6:17:42 pm

Thanks Mark. In FCPX I can also batch export to MP4. These are all multiclip files that are at least 90 minutes long. I really do not have as need for compressor. Why would I need that?

I have thought about Premier, but I can't wrap my head around a monthly subscription. I paid $300 for FCPX, and have never needed to pay additional fees.

I just have 1 edit suite with a Mac Pro Intel Mid 2010.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 24, 2019 at 4:23:17 pm

[Greg Ball] "I have about 28 90-minute videos that I need to export so I can send them to my client for approval. Each video is taking a loooong time to export (around 1 hour each).

Is this typical?

Also the projects are all 1080P. But I'm exporting them as 720P MP4 files. Would the conversion process be causing the export to be that long?

Would I be better off keeping the exports at 1080P?"

What kind of hardware? For any Mac without Quick Sync (which means all current and past Mac Pros) H264 encoding may be slow. The iMac Pro doesn't have Quick Sync but has similar hardware acceleration on the T2 chip. Starting with the 2017 iMac, Quick Sync (as used by FCPX) is about 2x faster than prior machines due to Kaby Lake optimizations.

If you have more than one Mac available, for a large series of long exports it can be faster to connect the hard drive to a Mac with Quick Sync. Even a laptop can be significantly faster than a Mac Pro for this.

Also picking the "faster encode" option is quicker than the "better quality" option, and I cannot see any visual difference in the output.

Re 1080 vs 720 output from 1080 project, usually 720 is a little faster but I have run tests on some machines where 1080 was faster.

On my 10-core Vega64 iMac Pro, export of a rendered 1080p H264 timeline to 1080p H264 output using the "fast encode" option is about 5x faster than real time, or 18 min for a 90 min timeline.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 24, 2019 at 6:21:01 pm

Thanks Joe, My mac is a Mac Pro (mid 2010) quad coreIntel Xeon. I export as faster encode. I'm averaging about 2 hours per 90 minute video.

The videos are multiclip videos with 3 streams. Do you think that's why this is so slow?

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 24, 2019 at 7:02:28 pm

[Greg Ball] "The videos are multiclip videos with 3 streams. Do you think that's why this is so slow"

Likely the main reason is (ironically) because it's a Mac Pro and you're doing H264 processing.

I don't think a multicam clip by itself will slow down exporting. It only needs to decode and encode the visible layer. If using blending it needs to decode, render, composite multiple layers then encode the final composite.

Some possible choices:

- Plug drive containing project and media into a Quick Sync-equipped Mac, preferably a 2017 or later iMac 27. However even a 2015 iMac 27 or 2017 or later 15" MacBook Pro would probably be faster.

- Render/Export on the Mac Pro to ProRes, then have a separate Quick Sync-equipped machine transcode to H264. That could take place in parallel. In theory the latest HandBrake uses Quick Sync on Mac but I haven't tested that. Compressor would be better. The 2010 Mac Pro is pretty fast on ProRes, plus probably fast rendering effects, the thing slowing it down is H264. This lets each machine do what they are good at.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 24, 2019 at 8:12:59 pm

Thanks Joe,

I don't have access to another machine. Since this is a 1 time project, it wouldn't make sense to purchase another machine.

BTW the drive I use is connected via ESATA, so I just can't connect it to another machine anyway. All of these processes would end up taking longer than just exporting the 26 videos.

Thanks anyway.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 26, 2019 at 2:20:03 pm

Hi Greg,

I mean no offense, but your computer is almost 10 years old, so yes the exports are going to take longer than a more recent machine that will be orders of magnitude faster. It's quite possible that exporting at 1080p to match source would actually be faster as it would eliminate the need to scale the output which does require additional computations.

Premiere would use the GPU for hardware-accelerated scaling normally (on PC with nVidia GPU, not sure about Mac situation) but you're likely not getting that benefit and CPU is doing all the work.

In any case, H.264 encoding always takes longer than just going to .mov for example, is more compressed so more math work required to encode.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 26, 2019 at 4:46:50 pm

I realize the age of my computer, but as I said ordinarily I don't have an issue with one-off corporate videos. It's 26 90-minute videos that's presenting the challenge.

Otherwise my 10-year old mac works perfectly for my needs.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]