APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Edit repetitive job via coding (as opposed to FCP X interface)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Paredes
Edit repetitive job via coding (as opposed to FCP X interface)
on Sep 15, 2019 at 3:15:34 pm

I often get medium to large jobs where I need to do repetitive tasks.

For example, I currently am working on a job that has about 150 videos. I need to add a 5 second graphic to the beginning of each video and then add 10 frames of black to the end.

Today I actually programmed a macro using Keyboard Maestro that semi-automates the whole job.

I'l like to know if this can be taken a step further. Perhaps do the editing work by creating/editing the "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" files (accessed by right-clicking the library file on the HD and choosing "Show package contents") Unfortunately, when I open those in a text editor, I see a lot of strange characters with only some readable text.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

Xavier

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Edit repetitive job via coding (as opposed to FCP X interface)
on Sep 15, 2019 at 8:35:59 pm

You'd probably be better off editing an XML file than trying to modify any project files. It doesn't take much to completely break the project database.

But even then, by the time you do it and check that it's worked, there's probably not much gain over what you're doing with Keyboard Maestro. Keyboard macros are my usual go-to for semi automating stuff in FCPX.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Xavier Paredes
on Sep 16, 2019 at 2:59:59 am

@Jeff Kirkland:

Interesting. I also have Fade Up/Down transitions. Can these transitions be implemented via an XML?

Xavier

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 16, 2019 at 2:55:09 am

[Xavier Paredes] "Perhaps do the editing work by creating/editing the "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" files (accessed by right-clicking the library file on the HD and choosing "Show package contents") "

You cannot do edits by editing the CurrentVersion.fcpevent file. This contains several SQL tables with an undocumented schema. The only way to even view those is using a utility like SQLPro: https://www.sqlitepro.com

In theory if you knew the schema and data dictionary (including definition and decoding of binary Blob columns) and internal table workflow used by FCPX you could write a SQLite application to do this. Without that information, attempted edits will corrupt the library and crash FCPX.

Return to posts index

Xavier Paredes
on Sep 16, 2019 at 3:01:01 am

Oh well. Hopefully one day we can script FCP X jobs.

Thanks for your reply.

Xavier

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 16, 2019 at 3:01:33 am

Forgot to add, besides Keyboard Maestro there is TextExpander, and you can combine both: https://macautomationtips.com/textexpander-keyboard-maestro-use/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]