Waveforms going Red
I am curious if anyone has seen this problem. We keep having trouble with FCPX loosing waveforms. We open our libraries and see yellow warning icons on all the footage. The footage is online, we can play it, see it and hear it. It just has a red bar where the blue waveforms should be.
Our media and cashe is saved externally on our Jellyfish shared storage with all editors/libraries using the same folder. We have been doing this for years on our NFS share without trouble, but just stared using an SMB. Does SMB work differently with cashe?
Currently the best way we have found to get our waveforms back is to reveal one clip in the finder, then drag it back into the event. Doing so seems to "kick" FCPX into remembering where the waveforms are saved. All clip waveforms come back and the yellow warning icon goes away.
This wouldn't be that big of a deal except we loose the waveforms multiple times a day.
Has anyone else had trouble loosing their waveforms? AND more importantly, does anyone know how to fix the underling problem so it stops happening?
You should contact LumaForge support. We also have a Jellyfish and it is my understanding that your system will see NFS volumes as different volumes and not as the same volumes accessed via SMB. IOW, FCPX thinks these are different drives. This looks like FCPX thinks your audio is offline. Also, have your systems been optimized for FCPX? There are some settings the LumaForge must tweak for FCPX Libraries.
Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com
Oliver, I have been working with Lumaforge and they have been amazing. I posted here because we haven't found a solution yet and I was curious if others have had their waveforms go offline.
Have you guys had this problem? Are your Jellyfish shares SMB? Do you keep your cashe external and on the Jellyfish?
Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi
Just for the heck of it, can you switch to a different resolution in the viewer?
Like from Optimized to Proxy.
I've had this issue and it was worse cause some files were there and others were.
So I had to switch to see if something went awry with either format.
This was off a RAID.
[Chad Greene] "Have you guys had this problem? Are your Jellyfish shares SMB?"
I personally haven't see it lately, but have in the past with local drives. As far as shared storage, we are running as SMB. As I'm the only FCPX user in house, media is on Jellyfish, but everything else is local to my machine. We are mainly an Adobe shop, so all of the Premiere project files and caches are on Jellyfish.
Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com
[Chad Greene] "Our media and cashe is saved externally on our Jellyfish shared storage with all editors/libraries using the same folder. We have been doing this for years on our NFS share without trouble, but just stared using an SMB. Does SMB work differently with cashe?"
I've seen this infrequently when using local storage. It is typically a cache issue. When I delete cache (which is easy to do from Finder if using a designated storage location), then restart FCPX it usually goes away.
If your cache is on the Jellyfish and all editors using the same folder, I'm not sure what prevents conflict. FCPX assumes a single-user mode and there is no built-in logic for deconfliction. This is OK for read-only content like media but for cache and library, writes are happening constantly. Maybe you mean cache and library are within the same folder but each editor has their own unique copy.
Because of high-bandwidth frequent random writes to the cache, I'd normally think you'd get better performance if that's on a local small SSD. This would especially be the case if you are on 1 gig ethernet not 10 gig.
However it's possible the issue was caused by switching to SMB.
It says on Lumaforge's web site: "SMB Protocols...are not designed to work with the FCPX Library Architecture. Currently, the best way to run FCPX in a shared environment is through NFS Protocol."
The Lumaforge support page says "Libraries and Cache should only be kept on a Jellyfish NFS Share."
I believe we have solved the problem... fingers crossed.
My gut said something became corrupt with the symlinks when we moved our libraries from NFS to SMB shares. But just to be safe, I copied the library to my desktop before opening the package and deleting all the symlinks. Then I opened my library (from the desktop), set the cashe to save on my desktop as well, and relinked my library.
In the last 24 hours I have not had my waveforms go offline. I can actually work again! Monday I will try moving the library and cashe back to the Jellyfish to see how that affects it.