APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCP can't perform action, says background tasks are running... but there are none.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Smith
FCP can't perform action, says background tasks are running... but there are none.
on Sep 10, 2019 at 1:53:06 pm

Hi, i had some problems moving events between libraries a short while ago and although i think i've figured out why (incorrect library storage location)... i have a new problem now. When trying to move events via the File > Move event command FCP is telling me it can't complete the action because there are background tasks running.

"Final Cut Pro must complete other tasks before completing this operation.

The operation cannot be completed because "Move Event to Library" is running in the background. Use the Background Tasks window to monitor or cancel tasks before trying again."

The background tasks window is empty, I've restarted my machine 10 times since my original Move Event problem, I've reset FCP preferences with option-cmd while restarting the app. Drag and drop event moves show the same error. I'm at a loss how to deal with this and my searches aren't turning up other troubleshooting I can do. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if I stopped a "Move Event" action in progress a couple of weeks back and somehow the app thinks it is still running?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: FCP can't perform action, says background tasks are running... but there are none.
on Sep 10, 2019 at 9:12:54 pm

Make sure you have plenty of free space on all drives and they are all formatted HFS+ or APFS not exFAT. Then run Disk Utility First Aid on all drives.

In FCPX select each library and in the Inspector verify the storage properties are what you expect. If you aren't sure where each library is located, in the left sidebar right-click on the library and pick "Reveal in Finder".

After that temporarily disable background rendering in FCPX Preferences (if enabled), then delete render files via Files>Delete Generated Library Files, restart FCPX and try the event move operation. If that doesn't work, reset FCPX preferences (step 11): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

If that doesn't work, try to drag/drop the event as a *copy* not a move. Look for the green + sign to be sure. After that, select the copied event in the new library and pick File>Consolidate Event Media. This ensures the referenced media is copied to the new storage location. Once you verify the event and media are present in the new library you can delete the event from the old library. These are straightforward procedures but make sure everything is backed up first.

Return to posts index

Dave Smith
Re: FCP can't perform action, says background tasks are running... but there are none.
on Sep 11, 2019 at 8:09:16 am

Thanks for the leads. One drive is NTFS and the other exFAT... I'll should move data off and format as APFS . The storage properties are what got me last time, they were not set correctly, have that solved now. What did work was the copy instead of move, after completion I verified with reveal in Finder, then deleted the original event. That's great, thanks again for the help!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]