APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Finding Favorites in 10.4.6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
Finding Favorites in 10.4.6
on Aug 2, 2019 at 8:25:47 pm

Probably so simple, but, can't find an answer.

I've got about 280 clips, a few of which I've favorited. However, how the heck do I find them? Seems like I have to scroll the whole list again. There used to be a "favorite" filter...but, they moved it or deleted it or something.
Probably a simple thing I'm missing, but, it's slowing me down right now.

TIA

John Watts
Premiere Pro Version 13.1
2017 iMac (Retina 5K 27 inch) 1TB SSD
4GHZ Intel Core i7
32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
macOS Mojave 10.14

Return to posts index

John Watts
Re: Finding Favorites in 10.4.6
on Aug 2, 2019 at 8:27:49 pm

OK, swore I tried this and it did not work, but, when I type favor into search filter I get them...
If I type favorite...it doesn't work...how weird??

John Watts
Premiere Pro Version 13.1
2017 iMac (Retina 5K 27 inch) 1TB SSD
4GHZ Intel Core i7
32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
macOS Mojave 10.14

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Finding Favorites in 10.4.6
on Aug 2, 2019 at 8:58:45 pm

[John Watts] "when I type favor into search filter I get them...
If I type favorite...it doesn't work...how weird??"

It's true typing "favorite" or "rejected" into the query box will show the entire clips containing a favorite or rejected range. I never noticed that before; I'm not sure if it's documented or expected.

You're supposed to either use (1) The filter at the upper right of the Event Browser - switch it from "All Clips" to "Favorites", or (2) The library-wide Smart Collection in the folder directly beneath the library name in the left sidebar. Either of these show the favorite *ranges*, not the enclosing clip containing the favorite range.

FCPX has two different search scopes: library-wide and within a single event. The library smart collections in the folder under the library are library-wide. Smart collections or keyword collections within an event return only marked ranges within that event.

A library-wide keyword collection can be created by making a new library-wide smart collection, selecting + and picking "keywords", then selecting the desired keyword. If you use the same keyword in multiple events this will return those ranges across all events.

If you want to show only the favorites within a given Event, just drag/drop the favorite smart collection from the "Smart Collections" folder to your event. Or you could enable the Favorite filter and click on the Event.

The way FCPX works: favorites, rejects and keyword collections are *ranges* not just clips. You can have multiple ranges marked within a single clip, and use various commands to navigate between the marked ranges. See "Manage multiple range selections in event clips": https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12533?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Note there is a quirk whereby SHIFT+O is supposed to go to the end of the range selection and repeating it should go to the end of the next range selection. This does not work -- it only goes to the end of the current range selection. You have to step forward one frame so you're past the out point and then use Shift-O.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]