APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Looking for a Great Map Animator

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Sherman
Looking for a Great Map Animator
on Jul 25, 2019 at 1:23:55 pm
Last Edited By Ray Sherman on Jul 25, 2019 at 1:26:02 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for the best map animator for FCPX. I came across FCPX Maps 1.1 by Pixel Film Studios (below). This appears to be what I'm looking for but, I only could find a couple reviews which stated that it freezes and is hard to use. I took a trip through several states along Route 66 and would like to animate the trip on the roads I took along with inserting video. If you know of a great map animator plugin, please let me know. If you have used the one I mentioned, please let me know your thoughts as well. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
Re: Looking for a Great Map Animator
on Jul 25, 2019 at 4:36:00 pm

I've used the FCPX Maps plugin and the new version is pretty stable (the original version did crash a lot). I did a lot of research before buying it and as far as I know this is the best plugin currently available for this particular task. The plugin is pretty straightforward; you do need to set up a Mapbox account first and you may have a bit of trial and error in terms of selecting the right number of map tiles for your purposes.

However, I'm sure you can find tutorials online for doing the same thing yourself using Motion (I believe Ripple Training did a free one a few years ago). If you think you'll need more flexibility that what the plugin offers it's probably worth learning how to do it in Motion which will then give you transferrable skills that you can use in other effects.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 26, 2019 at 1:44:46 pm

As an addendum, I found the Ripple Training free tutorial I mentioned above:

https://www.rippletraining.com/articles/free-motion-video-tutorials/2015/03...

This kind of thing can also be done in Fusion in DaVinci Resolve, which is where I'm doing my current animated map project. I'm dropping a bunch of icons onto a map from offscreen, separated in one-second intervals. The hardest part of the project was getting a good high-resolution map; I ended up using free GIS software (QGIS with Natural Earth) and exporting a high-resolution map image from that.

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Jul 27, 2019 at 12:03:44 pm

Thank You for your input and help.
It's good to know that you had a good experience with the newer version of FCPX Maps 1.1. I'm unaware of what a Mapbox account is therefore, I'll look into it. I would really like to give Maps 1.1 a try.
On the other hand, Marks video in Motion for map animation looks to be very interesting. I would like to see further in depth training on this in both Motion & FCPX. As Mark mentioned, further controls could be found in their Call Outs plugin. I'll do some more research for this.........
I may look into DaVinci Resolve as well down the road. I see that there is quite a lot you can do with it. Thanks again, I appreciate your help. Ray 😊

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Jul 28, 2019 at 12:42:59 pm
Last Edited By Ray Sherman on Jul 28, 2019 at 12:47:48 pm

I can't find much information about Mapbox. Since you have FCPX Maps 1.1 and a Mapbox account could you tell me if Mapbox is a monthly/yearly subscription thats needed to run this plugin? Any info. in regards to Mapbox would be most appreciated. Thanks again, Ray

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Jul 28, 2019 at 12:57:57 pm

I went to https://www.mapbox.com/pricing/ and it appears that a paid subscription is needed. It all looks a little confusing to me. Ray

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jul 29, 2019 at 1:07:33 pm

Hi Ray -- you don't need a paid subscription to Mapbox to be able to use the plugin.

You can set up a free account (which is what I have; I've had a free Mapbox account for many years). You will need the API code from your free account if you end up using the PixelStudios plugin, but the plugin instructions tell you how to do that. It's very straightforward.

As for finding more tutorials on Motion, Ripple Training is a great source for training on FCPX and Motion. Mark really knows Motion; he also has a good tutorial on Fusion in DaVinci Resolve if you end up going that route.

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Jul 29, 2019 at 1:29:20 pm

Thank You Brad,
That's great news in regards to Mapbox. Based on your experience with the newer FCPX Maps 1.1, I'll go ahead and give it a try. I also took a look at mTravel by Motionvfx which looks to be a great plugin as well. I don't have Motion 5 yet but, I will be purchasing it very soon. I totally agree with you in regards to Ripple Training. Both Steve and Mark are in a word, Awesome. I have their FCPX training videos and I definitely will be going for their Motion 5 tutorials. Thanks again Brad, I sincerely appreciate your help and experience. Ray 👍😊

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Aug 7, 2019 at 12:42:40 pm

The following is similar to what I would like to create. Will Motion 5 come close to doing so? If so, does anyone know of any tutorials that may be available? Thanks, Ray

13612_mapanimationexample.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Aug 7, 2019 at 1:38:31 pm

You may also view it here on YouTube. Thanks again, Ray

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Aug 8, 2019 at 5:10:20 pm

Hi Ray -- in addition to the Ripple Training tutorial on animating a map in Motion (which I linked to earlier), there are a few others on youtube; a Google search will turn them up. Here's one for example:

I imagine you can add the other elements of the animation in Motion too (the animated signs and crosses, etc.) but my experience with motion graphics is very limited (and I'm using Fusion now, not Motion, only because I mainly use Resolve these days).

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Aug 8, 2019 at 8:26:28 pm

Thanks for the help and video link. I did several searches in regards to using Motion which seems to do mostly of what I want to accomplish. With Motion, it appears that it takes many, many steps to get to your goal. With that being said, it looks like the only way to go. I did purchase FCPX Maps but, it's been a major headache just to get the route line to run smoothly, it makes small jumps forward instead. My MacBook Pro is more than adequate to run the plugin;

Also, I don't quite understand the token induction from Mapbox. I got one but, is there something that needs to be done with it? Mapbox has an enormous amount of information on their site which seems to be a lot to decipher. I contacted PFS support and nothing has been accomplished. Currently, it appears I wasted my money on that particular plugin. It's too bad due to that plugin appearing to do what i wanted......... Oh well, Motion 5 here I come. Thanks again for al your help and input. I truly appreciate it. Ray 😊

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Aug 8, 2019 at 8:33:36 pm

Sorry the plugin isn't working for you. Yes, you need to copy the API token from Mapbox and paste it in somewhere in the plugin interface (can't remember now and I don't have it on this computer, it's on my production machine). It worked pretty smoothly for me. Next time I'm on my production machine (probably this weekend) I'll see if I can find where to put the token, but I thought it was all explained pretty will in the plug-in instruction video (which is in the "tutorial" section of the website here: https://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/product/fcpx-maps/

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Aug 8, 2019 at 8:35:50 pm

Whoops, actually the instructions for the Mapbox API token are in the Installation tutorial, which is on a different tab on that page.

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Aug 8, 2019 at 8:37:27 pm

Thanks Brad, I'll check it out right now........ appreciate it. Ray

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Aug 8, 2019 at 8:46:35 pm

Yes, I did go through those steps. I just thought that maybe there was something I needed to do further. I'll go ahead and re-download the FCPX 1.1 and try to generate a map. I'll let you know if the problem is corrected. Below you will find the route jumping I was referring to. Thanks again. Ray

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Aug 8, 2019 at 9:09:43 pm

I started out totally fresh and made a simple 20 second clip in which I'm still plagued with the same results; 😥

Return to posts index

Ray Sherman
on Aug 11, 2019 at 4:05:15 pm

I did a screen share with PFS this past Friday which lasted a couple hours. The end result was the same as I'm experiencing. PFS concluded that an update is needed on their end for FCPX Maps 1.1 and that they will contact me once available. In addition, I asked PFS for better intuitive tutorials with voice for this generator. I will inform you here when and if an update comes available. Thanks again for your input and if you or anyone else has anything to add, please do so. Ray 😊

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]