APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Green Screen Export Anomaly or Something Wrong?

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Tangier Clarke
Green Screen Export Anomaly or Something Wrong?
on Jul 24, 2019 at 4:51:01 pm
Last Edited By Tangier Clarke on Jul 24, 2019 at 4:54:40 pm

Hello folks. I am exporting a segment of my cut to for green screen/tracking work that I'll do in Motion or DaVinci (if I can figure the latter out). Something strange is happening on the export whereas the clip is keyed (the green somewhat replaced) even when there's no video beneath it. I wanted to run this by you all in case it's just my ignorance/human error at play here. I could go back to the original of course, but I did some slight color adjustments on the clip already. The clip shows up solid green in my timeline as it should.

In preparation for Motion or another app, I've exported the clip as a ProRes 422, ProRes 4444, made sure the FCP X Keyer was disabled and/or not present at all, and tried putting the clip in it's own project before these exported formats. In each export is goes from solid green to keyed. See images of before export and after.

4K footage from Sony FS7
Final Cut Pro 10.4.6
Storyline = 3840x2160 @Rec 709, Sony S-Log3/S-Gamut3.Cine applied to clips
Mojave 10.14.5
Mac Pro (Late 2013) / Dual AMD Fire Pro D500 / 64 GB RAM/ 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Green Screen Export Anomaly or Something Wrong?
on Jul 24, 2019 at 9:35:39 pm

No clue about that one. Have you tries deleting your render files? Maybe FCPX is pulling something from there...

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 24, 2019 at 9:46:13 pm

I deleted the render files and restarted the computer. I tried exporting again which gave me the same results.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 26, 2019 at 7:03:24 pm

I attempted to export the clip from Compressor and the same results. This is really strange.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 26, 2019 at 7:39:16 pm

I found that the only way (so far) I won't get this issue is if I set the Camera LUT to "none" rather then the applied Sony LUT FCP X uses from the metadata.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 26, 2019 at 9:58:13 pm

Compressor had the same auto LUT applied? Sounds like you've found a bug with the LUT system. Maybe apply the LUT to that clip manually and see what it does?

I've never used FCPX's built in LUTs which could be why I've never seen it happen. Surprised nobody else has come across it if that's the case though.

----

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:02:34 pm

The LUT was applied on the clip as set in the inspector. I attempted to see if passing the storyline to with the clip to Compressor would yield a different result. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I'ld like to definitely send in feedback to Apple, but want to wait to see if others reply as well. I also posted this on FCP.co to get additional eyeballs on this issue in case others have experienced this.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:11:48 pm

Is the LUT one of the built in ones or one you added? Even if it looks wrong, it could be worth trying applying a different LUT to see if the issue is just with that particular LUT file.

----

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:15:21 pm

It's the built in one referenced in the metadata. There are others to choose from. I should try one that is not part of the metadata and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:33:48 pm

Well what do you know...I changed the LUT to Panasonic V-Log, exported a ProRes 4444 and it came out just fine. The green stayed in tact.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 27, 2019 at 4:33:47 am

Great! Well, not great but at least it's solved ☺

It could be that the LUT file is damaged or just not created properly to start with. Install a replacement, override the camera LUT in the inspector, and you should be good to go.

----

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 29, 2019 at 5:04:10 pm

A new development in this issue. User Redifer over on fcp.co found that the export worked just fine with the embedded LUT applied to the clip on a 1080p timeline, but the native 4K was a problem.

This definitely seems to be a bug.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]