APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Organizing a project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Organizing a project
on Jul 19, 2019 at 6:30:44 pm

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice on a multi-cam project I'm working on.

We shot multiple presentations that are 90 minutes long. Each presentation use 2 cameras. Then I had a Atmos recorder to record the slides they used.

I have 7 full days of footage, so about 20 90 minute 2 camera presentations.

After editing 7 presentations I'm already out of space on a 4 TB drive. It seems like the rendering is taking up lots of space. What's especially concerning is the size of the Atmos recorder files. For example for the last presentation, I believe he had 3 slides yet the Atmos recorded for 60 minutes. That created a 40 GB file for 3 slides!!!

Any idea on how you would handle this? I just ordered another 6 TB drive, but I fear even that won't be enough for this project.

How would you organize this? Would each presentation be it's own library and project file? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Organizing a project
on Jul 19, 2019 at 8:06:12 pm

Turn off background rendering.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 20, 2019 at 12:47:33 pm

Hi Oliver,

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying and how this will help me with this project moving forward.

Here are my questions. First let me say that I have imported all footage to an external 4 TB Hard Drive. My footage is 1.6 TB in size and the FCPX Library is now 2.04 TB in size.

1. Why is my Library so large since I imported the footage but thought I left them in place on the External drive. Have I inadvertently copied the footage to the Library (doubling the size of this project and filling my hard drive? How can I fix this?

2. I need to add more footage to the second angle of my Multicam, but I'm out of Space.How can I fix this?

3. How does turning off background rendering help? Do I not need that for editing a Multicam? Would I just render everything at the end?

Thanks so much.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 20, 2019 at 3:11:18 pm

I may be misunderstanding and my apologies for the shorthand reply. Typically the reasons your library will grow is that,

1) you have set your import settings to import the media into the library instead of "leave in place", or

2) your settings are set to create optimized media, in which case it is generating ProRes files for everything and storing them in your library, or

3) you have background rendering on, which generates ProRes render files for anything on any timeline (project) in your library.

Does that make sense? Are any of your settings like this? Any of these settings would result in your library growing and taking up this much space.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 20, 2019 at 3:24:06 pm

Hi Oliver, No need for apologies. I appreciate your help!!!

To answer your questions

1) I believe I imported the media to be left in place. But if I made an error here, can I fix this? If so How?

2) Yes, I believe I set it to create optimized media. How can I fix this?

3) Yes, I always have background rendering on. Is the alternative just rendering the final project at the end?

Lastly, I will end up with about 20 Multicam projects at the end of this. Would you suggest that I create 20 individual libraries?

Thanks so very much for your help!!!!

Greg

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 20, 2019 at 3:36:19 pm

[Greg Ball] "1) I believe I imported the media to be left in place. But if I made an error here, can I fix this? If so How?
2) Yes, I believe I set it to create optimized media. How can I fix this?
3) Yes, I always have background rendering on. Is the alternative just rendering the final project at the end?
Lastly, I will end up with about 20 Multicam projects at the end of this. Would you suggest that I create 20 individual libraries?"

1. I'm not sure you can move the files out of the library at this point, but you can move the whole library to a larger external drive if you have one and then work from that. It might require relinking, but I think you'd be OK.

2. Same as #1. Although you may be able to delete optimized media. Someone else is going to have to chime in on that one.

3. There is no need to have background rendering on unless your playback is hampered severely by playing unrendered files in real-time. I almost never use it, because it slows down my editing flow.

4. There is no reason to create 20 separate libraries, unless you want to be able to deal with each sequence as an independent library for storage and archiving reasons. Having everything in a single library should be just fine. However, you mentioned these are 90 min. edited segments. It's possible that this could create some bloat. In the Avid-world, that's a non-issue, but with every other NLE, it's a factor to consider.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 20, 2019 at 5:59:06 pm

Thanks Oliver. This is very helpful. When you say other NLEs would also have the same "bloating" issue, do you know if this applies to Premier?

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 20, 2019 at 6:07:23 pm

[Greg Ball] "do you know if this applies to Premier?"

I have not personally experienced that with Premiere Pro, however, others seem to report it. We run some pretty large projects, with tons of sequences and lots of media without any issue. However, I'm not sure I would say these have as much media/complexity as 20 x 90:00 with multicam. If I were doing it in Premiere Pro, I would still opt to keep it all in one project, unless I was splitting up the work among several different editors.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 20, 2019 at 5:36:54 pm

(Sorry I don't have an answer. I have the same question though, and I cannot follow the thread unless I respond and choose "email me when someone responds.")

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]