APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FS7 Proxy Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
FS7 Proxy Issues
on Jun 15, 2019 at 2:29:15 pm

Got a mix of RED and FS7 footies for a short here.
The RED never fails at proxy after its been imported as "link".
However, the FS7 files need to be manual.
Cant select a huge list and create proxy.
Fails without warning, so I need to select a few at a time.
Really annoying due to the number of files.
Anyone else experiences this?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: FS7 Proxy Issues
on Jun 16, 2019 at 1:05:21 am

[Eric Santiago] "The RED never fails at proxy after its been imported as "link".
However, the FS7 files need to be manual.
Cant select a huge list and create proxy."

I've created proxies on over 8,000 4k XAVC-S files in one batch; it worked OK.

Proxies must go somewhere, either in the library or in a storage location specified by the library inspector under storage locations "modify settings".

The most common cause of proxy creation failing is running out of space. When you select a large group of files, FCPX will estimate total space requirement and may abort. If short on disk space, creating proxies for a few files might work.

Check (1) Where your proxies are being created and (2) Free space available on that disk volume.

To create proxies in a user-specified location, after importing all media with "leave files in place", change the library storage location to a different folder. Proxies created after that will be placed in that location. For more details see Ripple Training's 10.4 media management class:

https://www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cut-pro/media-management-in-f...

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 16, 2019 at 5:00:03 am

[Joe Marler] "Proxies must go somewhere, either in the library or in a storage location specified by the library inspector under storage locations "modify settings".
"

I thought it might be that, but once I converted all to proxies, I checked my drive and it had close to 900GB left.
I think its a weird bug since it doesn't occur on any of the RED files mixed with this project.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jun 16, 2019 at 2:38:35 pm

When proxy creation "fails without warning", does it just stop, or is there any kind of error message? Does FCPX require restarting or is it still up?

It could be a bug, but I'm suspicious it might be a space consumption issue.

Is the 900GB free space on an external drive? What is the free space and % of free space on the system drive?

What FS7 resolution, frame rate, bit rate and codec are you using?

Is the FS7 material being successfully imported with "leave files in place"? Or is it being copied to within the library? If copied within the library, then proxies are created, this will take more space than RED files imported using "leave files in place" plus proxies. OTOH if FS7 proxy creation succeeds when done in small batches, I don't understand that.

You could try running Disk Utility First Aid on all drive volumes to make sure space reporting is updated and there are no file system anomalies.

Unfortunately I don't know of a continuous free space monitoring tool for Mac. Unfortunately this is an area where Windows is far superior, since the built-in PerfMon tool can continuously graph and monitor disk consumption and even send alerts based on user-defined thresholds.

However on macOS it's easy to write a simple shell script in terminal to continuously record space c, which could be redirected to an output file for later perusal. Below uses just 10 iterations; to do more increase the count.

See various references for using terminal commands. There are lots of free ones but this book is pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XV0ZZBA

#!/bin/bash
# Display space consumption at 1 sec intervals for $count iterations

count=1
while [ $count -le 10 ]
do
sleep 1
date
printf "Space on MacHD: "
df -H /volumes/Macintosh\ HD | sed 1d
printf "Space on RAID array: "
df -H /volumes/TBay32TB/ | sed 1d
printf "\n"
((count++))
done

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 17, 2019 at 5:40:44 pm

[Joe Marler] "What FS7 resolution, frame rate, bit rate and codec are you using?"

Its Quad HD at 23.976.
I tried both ways for Import/Proxy.
Like I said, I did it manually and it worked fine.
It just didnt like multiple selections.
Tried groups of 5s and 10s.
I forgot the pop-up error, Ill try again later.

Thanks for the tips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]