APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Swapping source linked audio to a different file?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kasey Gay
Swapping source linked audio to a different file?
on Jun 1, 2019 at 9:01:56 pm

Hey team,

I've backed myself into a bit of a corner. I just edited a fairly indepth project using a water marked copy of a music file.

My thoughts were that I could simply change the linked audio file to a licensed copy of the song when I was done. The files are identical in length and content, the watermarked version just has someone saying "Music Bed" all over it.

I've tried several different tactics now. I've revealed source clips in finder, all the way down in the library and discarded the original file, and drop in my new "clean" copy of the music, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'd prefer not to have to repeat my audio work.

Ha. It seems strange that I can accidentally relink the wrong files often enough in projects, but can't find a methodical way to do it intentionally. Help?

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Swapping source linked audio to a different file?
on Jun 1, 2019 at 9:52:12 pm

This isn't much help after the fact but the easiest approach to using watermarked audio is to put it into a compound clip, Edit with the compound clip, then replace the track inside the compound later. Job done. There's no easy way to force fcpx to relink if it decides they're not the same clip.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Kasey Gay
on Jun 2, 2019 at 3:27:02 am

That's damned genius. Thanks man. Much appreciated :)

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jun 2, 2019 at 5:33:24 pm

[Kasey Gay] "My thoughts were that I could simply change the linked audio file to a licensed copy of the song when I was done. The files are identical in length and content, the watermarked version just has someone saying "Music Bed" all over it.
"

You can relink to a different audio file within certain constraints. It can have a different name, be located on a different disk path, have a different sample rate, and be encoded with a different codec (e.g. wav vs mp3).

However it must have the same audio channel config and must not be shorter than the original file. There may be other limitations but I've relinked audio files containing different material which were encoded with wav vs mp3 and it worked -- provided the new file was long enough.

If you try to relink several files and it fails, it won't tell you why it failed. If you pick a single file and try to relink that, if it fails the error message will indicate why.

Obviously if the new relinked file is longer, your prior audio edits may not be in the right place. If the only difference is varying lead-ins between the files, just cutting off or extending the start may be all that's required. But if they are at different tempos then it may require re-editing.

You can also copy and paste audio effects between original and new clips using CMD+C and SHIFT+CMD+V. This is one clip at a time.

However if your original timeline audio consists of many audio clips with many edits, you can create an audio-only compound clip of that, add the new audio in a new lane to the timeline, create a compound clip of that, open the original audio CC, and copy/paste all audio effects on all audio clips using CMD+C and SHIFT+CMD+V.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]