APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Using multiple clips as one angle for a MultiCam clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Malone
Using multiple clips as one angle for a MultiCam clip
on May 10, 2019 at 3:00:11 am

Hello, I want to create a multicam clip with 2 angles. One angle is a continuous 5 minute single clip. The other angle is split into 3 different clips that have start and end points that are not continuous. In other words, within the entire 5 minute scene, this one angle has a 1minute long clip then the next clip is 2 minutes long, and the final clip is about a minute long. So across this five minute scene, this angle only has about 4 minutes of footage split into 3 clips which are not continuous, so there are gaps where I do not have footage within this one angle.

Is there a way to make a multicam clip where these 3 clips are synced as one angle with the continuous clip of the other angle. So the 3 clip angle would have gaps where there is no footage, but is still synced as one complete angle?
I've tried just making them all a multicam clip but of course it just make a four angle clip. I've also done a few trials with making a compund clip out of the 3 angles then syncing that with the other angle as a multicam clip, but the 3 clips aren't continuous so they can't be just connected one after the other.
Would I have to kind of manually do this and put the 3 clips on the timeline with the continuous angle on top and manually line everything up, adding the correct gaps? At which point I guess I would just switch angles by editing the timeline since I've just synced them up, essentially doing the multicam function myself.

Just wondering of there is a quick way of doing this automatically.

Thanks,
Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Using multiple clips as one angle for a MultiCam clip
on May 10, 2019 at 5:00:54 am

if you get multiple angles instead of just two, make sure you've updated the clip info to include the angle each belongs to. Eg the long clip as angle 1 and the other three are angle 2. Select them, create a Multicam clip, sync by whatever means appropriate. You should have two angles, one of which will have multiple clips and gaps.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 10, 2019 at 5:31:21 pm

Yes, you can do this fairly easily. Before making your multiclip, select all your non-continuous clips in the browser and open the inspector. In the info section ( the 'i' icon) type CAM A under camera angle. If you don't see a camera angle box, go to the bottom left corner of the inspector, click the button and choose basic.

Once you've named all your clips with the CAM A angle (or whatever you want to call it, just make them the same). Select all your clips, including your continuous one to make your multiclip. In the multiclip dialog box, choose Camera Angle for Angle Assembly. This tells FCPX to put all clips that are labeled the same, into the same angle track.

This is basically the same thing Jeff said, just with a tad more step by step in case you need it.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Shawn Malone
on May 11, 2019 at 2:44:33 am

Thanks for the replies! So is it the labelling of the non-continuous clips that enables them to be synced to the other continuous angle clip as one angle? Also allowing those non-continuous clips to be synced with the appropriate gaps?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 11, 2019 at 4:00:46 am

That's correct. Otherwise Final Cut has no way of knowing they're supposed to be part of the same angle instead of individual angles.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 11, 2019 at 5:15:12 am

[Shawn Malone] "So is it the labelling of the non-continuous clips that enables them to be synced to the other continuous angle clip as one angle?"

Yes.

[Shawn Malone] "Also allowing those non-continuous clips to be synced with the appropriate gaps?
"

No. That happens with your sync method, ie: Timecode (if your cameras are jammed), or audio synchronization (if all the cameras are recording audio.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Shawn Malone
on May 12, 2019 at 7:52:19 pm

Thanks for the great info! I realize that its the syncronization creating the gaps, I just meant that labelling them allows them to be grouped as one angle in order for them to be synced in the proper positions with gaps. This is great news. The client's footage of one angle was for some reason spread across several files with gaps in time. This makes it so much easier. Thanks for the replies and explanations. I appreciate it.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]