APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Easiest way to make a complete copy of entire project and all of its media and contents

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cybil lake
Easiest way to make a complete copy of entire project and all of its media and contents
on Apr 10, 2019 at 10:52:36 pm

Hi! I can't seem to make a copy of a project the way that I used to.

I want a whole new copy of the project on a hard drive. with all the media. all the content. Nothing left out.

I know that this is easy and I should know but I can't seem to get it right.
thank u!

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Easiest way to make a complete copy of entire project and all of its media and contents
on Apr 11, 2019 at 11:28:06 am

The general concept is drag/drop the project to the new library, then consolidate media. That will copy the project and all related media.

However -- you shouldn't literally do this. There's a specific procedure which should be used when copying media between libraries. Unfortunately this is not documented in most tutorials or Apple's FCPX documentation. Symlinks may not work properly and spurious duplicate clips can occur if dragging clips or projects between non-managed libraries vs dragging an event.

The best practice is don't drag or copy bare clips or projects across libraries but do it inside a "transfer event". Sam Mestman discusses this from 06:30 to 11:00 in the below video, but you may want to watch Sam's whole talk from 02:00 to 11:00. He demonstrates this on a Lumaforge NAS but it's not unique to a NAS.

https://hazu.io/pixelcorps/fcvug-7

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Easiest way to make a complete copy of entire project and all of its media and contents
on Apr 25, 2019 at 8:45:49 pm

If you mean that you want all the storage components of a FCP library: Media, Motion Content, Cache, Backups all duplicated to a new location then in the original library change the storage locations to a folder in the original drive. Then duplicate the folder in the finder and put the duplicate where you want the copy. CCC is a solid app that lets you make backups and will modify updates without having to duplicate the drive or folder from scratch. It will also come in handy when doing a backup of any drive or folder that you have.

If what you meant was just the project (timeline) why not just export it if all the editing is done already?

Imacs (i7), Canon C300, Canon 5D Mark IV, Panasonic ENG HPX250P, , FCP X, teach video production in L.A., Cool Light Productions, Producing series of multimedia Portraits of creative women in the production arts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]