APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Relink

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Oliver Peters
Relink
on Apr 2, 2019 at 2:10:13 pm

When relinking media, is there a way to not have FCPX immediately try to match names as it searches? This is often an incredible waste of time, when you could manually navigate to the desired file more quickly.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Relink
on Apr 2, 2019 at 2:20:28 pm

I don't think so. And I agree 100% that it wastes more time than it saves.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Apr 2, 2019 at 3:45:11 pm

[Oliver Peters] "When relinking media, is there a way to not have FCPX immediately try to match names as it searches? This is often an incredible waste of time, when you could manually navigate to the desired file more quickly."

During relink you can navigate to the folder where the file is, click on that and it will only search that one folder. I have seen varying behavior on this in past versions where sometimes it would apparently start searching before you clicked on the target folder. In some past versions this could be very slow. But it currently seems to behave as expected and it seems fast -- at least on my machine.

Within a given drive volume, relink is not normally necessary. You can shut down FCPX, rename every media file, move each file to a different location, go inside the library package and delete all the symlinks to the media, start FCPX and it will find all the files and rebuild all symlinks with the new filenames and locations. It is apparently storing the inode or other locator within two SQL tables inside CurrentVersion.fcpevent.

The inode is only unique to a volume so if the name changes or the media is placed on a different drive, then relink is necessary. Relink for media usually works very well. The big problem is there's no relink for proxies.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 2, 2019 at 3:48:45 pm

[Joe Marler] "Within a given drive volume, relink is not normally necessary. You can shut down FCPX, rename every media file, move each file to a different location, go inside the library package and delete all the symlinks to the media, start FCPX and it will find all the files and rebuild all symlinks with the new filenames and locations. It is apparently storing the inode or other locator within two SQL tables inside CurrentVersion.fcpevent."

I am not seeing this behavior for files stored on our QNAP. When the storage was local I could rename a file at the finder level with FCPX open and it would keep it linked to the file. On our network storage any change in the file name/location throws the file offline and a forced relink is necessary.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:21:32 pm

[Michael Hancock] "I am not seeing this behavior for files stored on our QNAP. "

FCPX does not work well with SMB.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:36:53 pm

Do you have experience with Iscsi with Qnap?

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:38:47 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "Do you have experience with Iscsi with Qnap?"

Me? no.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:41:28 pm

In general, or in regards to relinking and file tracking? We haven't had any problems with it yet, but our read/write speeds are slower on the Macs than our PCs (all over 10G).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:54:11 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Apr 2, 2019 at 5:03:13 pm

[Michael Hancock] "In general, or in regards to relinking and file tracking?"

In general. There are specific issues with the types of links it will support. If Ronny Courtens sees this thread he can elaborate. I never run Libraries on QNAP, only source media (in place), so I don't know the full issue. In general, I don't find performance to be good at all with FCPX and QNAP. I believe LumaForge recommends NFS if you are working with FCPX.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 2, 2019 at 5:13:02 pm

Interesting! Hopefully Ronny will chime in with some more info and insights. Bob Z set our system up and it's been great so far. But we also make extensive use of proxies for a lot of our edits, which might help with overall performance?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 5:16:22 pm

[Michael Hancock] "But we also make extensive use of proxies for a lot of our edits, which might help with overall performance?"

Yes, I think so. Are the Libraries local or all on QNAP?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 2, 2019 at 5:27:52 pm

Everything is on the QNAP. Libraries and media.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 7:19:19 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Everything is on the QNAP. Libraries and media"

Yep, that hasn't worked well for me.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Apr 2, 2019 at 7:43:20 pm

[Michael Hancock] "I am not seeing this behavior for files stored on our QNAP. When the storage was local I could rename a file at the finder level with FCPX open and it would keep it linked to the file. On our network storage any change in the file name/location throws the file offline and a forced relink is necessary.
"

FCPX inode lookup of media on a network volume works fine using Macs and SMB. If media and library is hosted by a networked Mac, it behaves just like a local drive. You can move the files, rename them, even delete the symlinks from within the library package -- and upon restart FCPX automatically reconstructs the symlinks with the new filenames and locations on that shared network volume.

I don't know why it's not working on your QNAP. It would be interesting if this works on a Lumaforge Jellyfish or other NAS systems. Maybe it's related to whether you are using NFS, SMB or what version.

On Lumaforge's web site it says: "On most NAS based storage, FCPX Libraries and media management commands will not work because NAS storage is typically shared through AFP or SMB Protocols, which are not designed to work with the FCPX Library Architecture....Currently, the best way to run FCPX in a shared environment is through NFS Protocol. Unfortunately, for FCPX users most NAS based storage is not optimized for NFS."

https://lumaforge.com/workflow/

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Apr 3, 2019 at 2:02:03 am

I am a big fan of NFS because it's more stable than SMB and it supports hard links. But we do have many clients who use mixed workflows over SMB and I can say that FCP X editing performance over SMB equals that of NFS.

I did find that file copies over NFS are much faster. These are two screenshots I made recently when remotely testing a large Jellyfish Rack setup with 70 FCP X users at one of our clients in Switzerland (not Swiss national tv). You can see that transfer speeds between NFS shares are much stabler (fewer traffic drops) and that average transfer speeds are higher (370MB/s over SMB and 500 MB/s over NFS).

The Jellyfish (even the small Mobile) runs FCP X Libraries straight off the server without any issues. I actually don't know any of our clients who do NOT keep their FCP X Libraries or their Premiere Pro project files and cache on their Jellyfish. We can do this because we use advanced hi-level caching in all of our systems.

Relinking files on a Jellyfish is exactly the same as relinking files on a direct attached drive, no matter f you use NFS or SMB. If you are at NAB next week, I will be happy to demo this. We are at the Frame io booth on the floor, in our demo suite at the Encore (send me an e-mail if you want to come and visit: ronny@lumaforge.com), and at the Faster Together Stage: https://lumaforge.com/nab

- Ronny

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]