APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Layered clips become merged with asterisks?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Roy
Layered clips become merged with asterisks?
on Mar 27, 2019 at 3:19:41 pm

Hey all, I’ve searched through multiple forums and have not been able to answer this question: since 10.4.6 recent update of FCPX, when I drag layered PSD files to the timeline, sometimes up to 20 layers, I animate them (only I using key frames) and play around but if I switch timelines or if I restart final cut, the clips become merged like a compound clip but I cannot double click or do anything to re-open it, it becomes sealed and unmanageable. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know the solution to this issue? Thanks!

Using FCPX 10.4.6 On Mac Pro late 2013

Return to posts index

Daniel Roy
Re: Layered clips become merged with asterisks?
on Mar 27, 2019 at 7:28:15 pm

Here are screenshots of the layered PSD file
62a842be-858b-461c-9305-2b0bcc236843.png
and what it becomes once you switch timelines/projects or quit app:
6d480cda-f25e-4245-b259-bc7c1816b0b8.png [x]

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 1, 2019 at 4:16:36 pm

Hey Daniel,

Your screenshots aren't showing up - try again?

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on May 13, 2019 at 3:55:13 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on May 13, 2019 at 4:17:58 pm

Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but I've just run into this bug myself. The problem manifests itself if any of the layers in the .psd are contained in a secondary storyline. The file loses its 'media type' icon and acts like a flat file, and can manifest in the browser or any instances in the timeline. Timeline instances do not ripple back to the original in the browser. I happened to be adding a fade to a layer in the browser when it borked.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Import layered file
2. Double-click to edit
3. Add a transition to any layer
4. Exit to another timeline

Even if you delete the transition, the bug manifests. Removing the layer from it's secondary storyline prior to closing retains edibility. Applying effects, trimming individual layers, turning layers on / off do not cause the bug. Strictly a secondary storyline within the .psd to re-create.

UPDATE: The file can be restored to expected behavior by highlighting the problematic .psd, selecting 'Open Clip' from the Clip menu, and removing the secondary storyline. I missed it since double-clicking wouldn't re-open the file, and I hadn't set a shortcut for the 'Open Clip' command.

macOS 10.14.4 - FCPX 10.4.6

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]