APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How to force-reload FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
How to force-reload FCPX?
on Feb 8, 2019 at 9:27:32 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 8, 2019 at 9:35:17 pm

My FCPX is crashing immediately on start-up, and I thought it might be a good thing to re-install it, but the App store says I'm all caught up on updates... there's no option to re-install or re-update it there. Having never done this before in FCPX, was wondering how you guys get it accomplished.

How the crash happens is: I create a new library, and when I hit "import", poof, it crashes. When I bring it back up again, it seems like it's opening up in an old project that was trashed; that project was using assets from Garage Band and the asset pane for Garage Band audio clips is up when FCPX first opens. Seems to me like something is partially messed-up in the files somewhere to cause a panic. But I'm inexpert at diagnosing this further on my own, so I figured a re-install should fix it. How do I do that?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: How to force-reload FCPX?
on Feb 8, 2019 at 9:46:54 pm

Try holding Cmd+Option when launching FCPX, and choose to delete your preferences when asked. Let us know if that fixes it.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 8, 2019 at 10:11:08 pm

Trashed the prefs, same behavior upon clicking on "import media".

Any other ideas welcome.

So, if I want to completely re-install FCPX, what would I do?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 8, 2019 at 10:25:51 pm

[Mark Suszko] "....I create a new library, and when I hit "import", poof, it crashes. "

In rare cases 10.3.x FCPX might immediately crash upon raising the file import dialog box if a certain file was in the import folder. In my case it was an .M4A audio file from iTunes. This was difficult to perceive because there was a small but variable delay in the crash. You could sometimes click on a video file, then it would crash, which gave the impression it was that file. In actuality was was the .M4A file in the import folder. That file was not apparently corrupt or damaged.

Since the import dialog remembers the last folder location, every subsequent import attempt would crash upon launching the dialog or almost immediately thereafter. You couldn't navigate to a different folder -- it would usually crash when enumerating the files in the import folder. In my case the solution was to identify and remove that iTunes .M4A file. I vaguely recollect other people had this with different files, not just .M4A.

I haven't seen this recently, but on the outside chance your case is related, try removing all files from the import folder, then start FCPX and point the import dialog at another folder, preferably an empty one. It will remember that and you can proceed with import tests. Then move all your files back to the original import folder.

It also wouldn't hurt to run Disk Utility First Aid on all volumes, also build Spotlight indexes on all volumes:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 8, 2019 at 10:40:38 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 8, 2019 at 10:41:03 pm

[Joe Marler] "try removing all files from the import folder,"

I think you might be onto something, but how exactly do I go about this?

Disk Utility repair showed no issues

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 9, 2019 at 1:51:59 am

[Mark Suszko] "but how exactly do I go about this?
"

The initial import folder will be whatever was previously selected. It is the folder that appears when you select File>Import. Whatever that folder is, inspect the contents and temporarily remove all files to another location. Then restart FCPX and try File>Import again. There should be no files listed (since you removed them). Then point it to another folder. This might not fix it but it's easy to try.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 9, 2019 at 1:29:52 am

[Joe Marler] "Since the import dialog remembers the last folder location, every subsequent import attempt would crash upon launching the dialog or almost immediately thereafter."

Trashing preferences should have reset the default project and any remembered directory so I would have thought it should have fixed that particular issue.

Try creating a new user and and logging in to a fresh setup - that will at least test if it's something wrong with the entire machine or just something corrupt for you as a user.

To reinstall Final Cut, drag the app into the trash, reboot and go back to the App Store. It will let you re-download the app.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 15, 2019 at 3:34:04 pm

Update: solved this in a simpler way: just trashed every related file from the week prior to the bug occurring, and all is well. So it was definitely some kind of corrupted file that kept insisting on itself when invoking the "import" command.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]