APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Odd, annoying problem. Any ideas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
Odd, annoying problem. Any ideas?
on Feb 2, 2019 at 2:27:56 pm

So I have this really debilitating problem on one of my workstations. It's an iMac running High Sierra, FCP X 10.4.5, and connected to a QNAP SMB NAS via 10GB Ethernet. Media is stored outside library and library is also stored on NAS.

When I drag a clip from another library into the timeline I'm currently working on, the clip shows up on the timeline as black. And it will not play the media. I have to then go to the original file in the Finder and drag that into the timeline. Then the media shows up. I then delete the clip I just dragged into the timeline.

So this is the weirdest thing about it. On another workstation which is my MacBook Pro, this problem doesn't exist. Same server, same OS, same ethernet speed. I have no doubt it has to do with the connection to the NAS, but what? And how to fix?

Any one have any idea about what is going on here? I think the next option is to do a new, clean install of the OS and see if that does anything. It's a lot of work though.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Odd, annoying problem. Any ideas?
on Feb 2, 2019 at 3:22:55 pm

If you connect via AFP, does the same thing happen?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 2, 2019 at 7:42:55 pm

[Oliver Peters] "If you connect via AFP, does the same thing happen?"

I need to try that. And CIFS too. But it will likely ding the throughput. And AFP may not be long for this world either.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Feb 2, 2019 at 4:06:53 pm

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I would like to add my annoying problem! 😉

I love FCPX, and I've been using it since day one, but I hate keyframes in FCPX!!! There is nothing more annoying that placing my playhead at a certain frame, adjusting my video/image, clicking to place a few keyframes, moving the playhead to a new position, adjusting the video/image, and then clicking to add a new keyframe and watching the playhead jump to some random place further ahead or well behind where it's supposed to be. Does anyone else get this crazy, random playhead jump when trying to add keyframes? It's happened on multiple machines, from laptops to desktops, multiple versions of the software (I don't remember it very early on, maybe from update 10.2 or .3 to the most current). It drives me nuts when it's just a simple move where I need more control than, say the Ken Burns effect, but shouldn't have to go all the way into Motion to create it. Ugh.

Winston A. Cely
ACTC Media Broadcasting Video Instructor
Apple Certified Editor FCPX 3

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 2, 2019 at 9:19:19 pm

[Brett Sherman] "When I drag a clip from another library into the timeline I'm currently working on, the clip shows up on the timeline as black. "

Are these proxies, and was it dragging clips or a project? If you drag/drop a project involving proxies across libraries, and you answer "no" to the proxy question, the clip will be black (in proxy mode), yet the transcode to proxy option is greyed out. In that case the solution is delete all proxies in the event and rebuild them including the black clip.

Regardless of whether proxies are involved, can you try it again and click both proxy and optimized checkboxes for the copy, regardless of whether you have those?

There's a separate case where symlinks may not work properly if dragging clips between non-managed libraries vs dragging an event. However that doesn't cause black clips but rather duplicates which are incorrectly linked to the wrong media location. The best practice is don't drag or copy bare clips or projects across libraries but do it inside an event. Sam Mestman discusses this from 06:30 to 11:00 in the below video, but you may want to watch Sam's whole talk from 02:00 to 11:00. He demonstrates this on a Lumaforge NAS but it's not unique to a NAS.

https://hazu.io/pixelcorps/fcvug-7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]