APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

360 Video: Don't understand 'Reorient' tool

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Smith
360 Video: Don't understand 'Reorient' tool
on Jan 30, 2019 at 6:18:34 pm
Last Edited By Dave Smith on Jan 30, 2019 at 7:08:15 pm

Hi, I'm trying my hand at 360 video and am running into the same issue over and over... driving me nuts. My goal is to have the initial orientation of a 360 clip pointed at something interesting in the frame before the viewer pans around... the problem is the orientation of each 360 clip keeps changing on me after being set and I don't know what I'm doing to cause it to happen.

Example: use the Reorient tool on a clip in the right-hand window of the 360 Viewer to get a nice composition for the opening of the shot which can be seen in the left-hand window. Great. Move to the next clip... repeat process with Reorient tool. I do this for the 5 clips in my timeline and at some point along the way the orientation of all the previous clips (in the left window) have changed significantly.

A couple of times at first I accidentally 'reoriented' the clip in the left-hand 360 Viewer window instead of the right. Realizing my mistake I went back, reoriented all the clips again being certainly to only use the Reorient tool in the right-hand 360 Viewer window... each time skimming back through to make sure I hadn't done something to mess things up. Somehow, some way... the orientation of all the clips has changed. Grrrr.

I have noticed when it happens that all the clips are 'off' by the same amount of tilt, pan, roll (whichever the case may be). Probably my ignorance here but aren't tilt, pan, roll settings specific to each clip? If I move the tilt, pan, roll back so the one clip I'm looking at is reoriented properly again all the other clips move the same amount and retake the original orientation I defined. So weird.

Either I don't understand the tool still after watching and reading all I could... or there is something fishy going on with Final Cut. I suspect user error but haven't been able to work out what I'm doing wrong each and every time.

Any ideas appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave Smith
Re: 360 Video: Don't understand 'Reorient' tool
on Feb 1, 2019 at 9:30:49 pm

I figured it out by doing nothing different that i could tell. I literally just kept going back and adjusting the orientation for each clip until i made it to the last one without any others being affected and exported immediately. Great, hopefully I can reproduce that in the future. Now to figure out why the resolution is brutal even at 4k.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]