APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Keeping audio file names on export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Bishai
Keeping audio file names on export
on Jan 9, 2019 at 2:14:23 pm

When exporting a Master file with Multichannel audio, how can I get the audio tracks in the Quicktime file to keep their original file names? I'm creating a master for delivery in ProRes 4444XQ with 16 audio tracks (5.1, LtRt, M&E 5.1, M&E LtRt) and want each audio track to be labeled with the corresponding channel configuration. Now when I export, all the track names are labeled identically.

I know you were able to change the track names in the old Quicktime 7 Pro after export, but it's no longer available and Quicktime X doesn't have this feature. Is there another option?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Keeping audio file names on export
on Jan 11, 2019 at 5:05:28 pm

[Peter Bishai] "… in the old Quicktime 7 Pro […] but it's no longer available…"

How is it "no longer available"? 🤨

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL923?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

- RK

Return to posts index

Peter Bishai
on Jan 12, 2019 at 5:58:10 am

Hi Robin,

The link you posted does indeed get to Quicktime 7 but the registration codes needed to unlock the Pro version is what's not available from Apple anymore...at least not officially. People are offering their old codes online so I have subsequently been able to get a fully functioning version of Pro 7.

However, what I've now discovered is that you can change the metadata within Quicktime 7 Pro but it doesn't actually translate to the file labels as they would appear in an NLE. That still shows each track labeled identically with the main file name. Presumably, distributors would be opening up the Master file in an NLE to create submasters, etc. so it would be better if each track in the timeline was labeled with it's correct channel assignment.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but after I've changed the metadata for each audio track in Quicktime Pro, everything from FCPX, Resolve, Avid MCP and even ProTools are still not displaying the changed track info.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 12, 2019 at 8:26:55 am

I don't get it. If you assigned each track correctly and exported it AS SURROUND, there's absolutely no need for any labels. Any and every app will know what's what. That's like wanting to tag left and right of a stereo file, where it's obvious which is which and is interpreted by every app accordingly, whether tagged or not.

Otherwise simply export a separate AC3 file!

- RK

Return to posts index

Peter Bishai
on Jan 12, 2019 at 9:50:02 pm

The problem though is that this is an international delivery master which includes M&E Surround and Stereo mixes in addition to the full Surround and Stereo mixes. 16 Mono tracks in total. M&E tracks would have to be selected or deselected at various points depending on what the local distributor is doing. It would be very easy to confuse a full Surround Left with an M&E Surround Left, for example, so it really wouldn't hurt to have them labeled.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 13, 2019 at 12:22:28 pm

Still don't get it, sorry. Since any audio person worth even half their salt would and will never have any such issue. Especially If you're using and assigning your roles correctly and outputting your (I'm assuming) AAF e.g. via X2Pro accordingly.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]