APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Davinci FCPX timeline corruption on roundtripping.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenny Evans
Davinci FCPX timeline corruption on roundtripping.
on Dec 11, 2018 at 4:50:27 pm

I'm trying to roundtrip from FCPX to DaVinci and back again but finding that going into DaVinci many clips are corrupted - titles, basic transitions and graphics etc and then this is compounded on the way back into FCPX with the edit being almost completely destroyed outside of the straight video clips on the primary storyline. My floating watermark for example in the shot has turned into this huge off centre blob and it's no longer transparent and blocks the entire project. Text placed on screen in particular places is moved away both into DaVinci and back again.

Is there any advice that says what you should and shouldn't do regards primary and secondary story lines, compound clips, overlays etc when roundtripping? I've always done grading as a last step but if it's going to destroy the edit, it looks like it needs to be done a lot earlier. Any advice appreciated.

DaVinci 15
FCPX 10.4.4.4
OSX 10.14.1
XML 1.8 General.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Davinci FCPX timeline corruption on roundtripping.
on Dec 11, 2018 at 9:06:08 pm

you strip (or mute those items) in DaVinci so they don't render.

Then you can simply copy and paste those items from your original timeline in FCPX.

Roles can help here, so that you can elect all the clips in that Role (like Graphics, or Titles) and copy/paste at the same starting spot.

Certain effects, especially text, simply won't transfer because FCPX and DaVinci have different text systems and the XML will only translate so much.

Return to posts index

Kenny Evans
on Dec 12, 2018 at 8:55:44 am

Thanks, that makes perfect sense, however on some segments where I have secondary storylines with shots in, it's just made a mess of them and 1 fades to black at either end when it should fade into the shots below it. Clearly I can't grade this and I'm worried I have to do some daft workaround with a single untrimmed shot in that example. What I think I'm after is like some kind of rule book from Resolve that has the do's and don't's so I can make my life as stress free as possible and try and avoid these caveats from the get go.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 12, 2018 at 1:24:47 pm

I typically break everything down before going to Resolve. I then reassemble all the effects back in fcpx.

It would be hard to help you as I can’t see exactly what’s happening, but I find it best to simplify the timeline before sending to Resolve.

Secondary storylines come over as nests in Resolve. You can “Decompose in place” in Resolve to get access to the clips.

Return to posts index

Kenny Evans
on Dec 12, 2018 at 5:47:36 pm

I suppose I'm after something that says: Don't use compound clips, don't use anything that's been altered with the scale or position tools etc. Just some things that are known not to work outside of very basic cuts and dissolves. Thanks for the help though, the decompose tip has helped.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 12, 2018 at 6:51:29 pm

Some of the things do translate, some don't. It's really a case by case basis, and you certainly have to spend a little time "prepping" the timeline in DaVinci. I typically try and keep things as simple as possible when sending to DaVinci, which means I have to spend some time getting things back together in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Kenny Evans
on Dec 13, 2018 at 8:47:52 am

Thanks Jeremy, appreciate the advice. I've been editing stuff for 30 years but been out of the loop for a good 5 on a sabbatical. Got all the latest gear and found myself in a hole very quickly. It's been bad enough trying to get my head around FCPX after almost 20 on the old version but I couldn't carry on any longer on it with it's total lack of modern format support. I shall be back here no doubt!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 13, 2018 at 4:05:23 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "try and keep things as simple as possible when sending to DaVinci, which means I have to spend some time getting things back together in FCPX."

Yep Ive been used to this workflow where you think you got it then you dont.
A few days ago I had to render two different versions from Resolve to get back into FCPX.
A flattened file and individual files named as the original source.
The flattened takes care of all items in the Primary Storyline and the individual are the ones that had to get re-inserted back into CC or Secondary but mostly due to effects applied (transitions, specials, etc..) that didnt take in Resolve.
I am getting tired of this workflow and I wasnt the originator.
If I do another doc in the future with this many external graphics (x 20 compared to RED files), I would def edit differently.
Keep all RED RAW in Primary and stop with the nonsense :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]