APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX is *not* auto-saving my project. How to solve this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Witkowicz
FCPX is *not* auto-saving my project. How to solve this?
on Dec 5, 2018 at 4:56:50 am

Hi all -

Worked on an edit for about 12 hours today. Closed FCPX around 8pm, went to dinner, came back and the project was missing when I opened the program. The only option for backup was from 1pm today, which means that FCPX didn't auto-save for nearly 7 hours.

1. Is there any possible recourse for getting my work back? It's not in the auto-save folders. Searched finder for 20181204 (the format it uses for naming autosaves) but the only results are from around 1pm...nothing for the 7 hours that follower.

2. How can I adjust FCPX so that is auto-saves every 15 minutes? There isn't an option available to manually save, so I'm nervous to return to working on the project.

I'm using the latest version of FCPX on a brand new iMac. Editing off an OWC RAID5 external drive. Media is stored on the RAID, backups stored locally.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX is *not* auto-saving my project. How to solve this?
on Dec 5, 2018 at 1:09:06 pm

Restart the machine.

Does it work after restarting?

Return to posts index

Alex Denver
on Dec 5, 2018 at 2:44:10 pm

Are you referring to the auto-save function, or to getting my project back?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2018 at 3:55:01 pm

The auto save function.

Return to posts index

Alex Denver
on Dec 5, 2018 at 4:30:10 pm

Auto-save seems to be working again. But I still lost all my work from yesterday; I'm guessing it's gone for good.

Is this a known issue? i.e. do I need to continuously check that my project is being saved in the future so this doesn't happen again?

And what happens if it isn't saving? Restarting will simply cause the project to get erased. Auto-save turns into auto-delete.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2018 at 6:59:23 pm

Sometimes, and it's rare, if you can't undo (command-z produces a warning signal), it means something went wrong.

If it isn't saving, duplicate the Library on the Finder level, or export an XML of the entire Library.

I don't know what happened in your situation, though. It seems very odd that FCPX wasn't saving at all. That means that some sort of read/write error might have happened.

Do you store your libraries on the boot drive?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 7, 2018 at 2:17:02 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Dec 7, 2018 at 2:18:42 pm

Whenever I have an access problem with the Library (it happens occasionally with my SMB server) it tells me it can't save the modifications. It is odd that you got no warning about that. And it is also odd it wasn't saving the Auto-save on a different drive. I think you had a (bad) exceptional experience. It sounds like some part of FCP X crashed but didn't notify you.

Sometimes it's good practice to close and open the program periodically. This can also help speed things up if it gets laggy. Rebooting is good too.

One question, are you storing your backup files on the system drive or the RAID? It's a good idea to store on the system drive and have a Time Machine backup. That way you can go back to any point in time, not just the files FCP X chooses to keep.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]