APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

ken burns wonky aspect ratio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyrina Bluerose
ken burns wonky aspect ratio?
on Dec 4, 2018 at 7:08:13 am

Anyone know how to keep the Ken Burns "start" box to maintain the 16:9? Once I drag it to a certain size (larger than the full frame, using a 6.25% view) it starts becoming square, then column-shapes as I try to move it around. I have done a reset, un-checked transform, deleted the clip to start over but the behavior is consistent. This is the only thing I am doing with this clip - a jpeg even - no other effects. I am considering making it a compound clip with some rain, but not if I can't make it work.

Trying to make a transition zoom in (down a street) from one clip with a mask to reveal a storefront at the end of the street in the next clip.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: ken burns wonky aspect ratio?
on Dec 5, 2018 at 11:40:35 am

I see it doing that, but I've never before tried to expand the Ken Burns boxes so far off the video frame when viewing it at 6.25 or 12.5%. It feels like a programming limit similar to how they don't allow you viewing at 2%, but maybe it's an oversight.

I think your only option is using a keyframed transform but it doesn't have ease in/out on scale. It does have easing on position, as described in this Larry Jordan article: https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-throw-your-animation-a-curve/

There is a free plugin from Alex4D which does easing on scale and position: https://blog.alex4d.com/2011/08/04/smooth-move-fpx-effect

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
Re: ken burns wonky aspect ratio?
on Dec 5, 2018 at 9:05:51 pm

Oooh, yes! Transform - I was able to achieve it keyframing transform - worked so much better.

At 12.5% viewing, dragging the KB start box seems to hit invisible bumper-margins on the sides, and once that happens, you can't get it to go back to 16:9 - and moving it around just keeps changing aspect ratio. Does this happen for you too?

As for the other problem - I think the project I am doing is pushing the limits of my small/weak/old machine. Now I have to wait and do other things while it renders each change. I can't mix my SFX in the main project so I bounce the latest edit to mp4, reimport to new project and do SFX edits there. Music I will just have the composer do, then marry them after. BTW, I was encouraged to enter it into festivals by an animation director rather than just post on youtube, so it seems worth all the problems!

☺ Thanks again for all your help; you rock.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]