APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Adding viewer interactive element to Videos

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Gienapp
Adding viewer interactive element to Videos
on Nov 9, 2018 at 6:01:29 pm

Any advice on how to create videos that measure a person's reaction time. When they see a specific item appear on the video they would click the mouse or space bar. Depending on how long it took them to hit the mouse/space bar they will get a score

I know there is nothing in FCP that will create this interactivity, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Thank you
Tim

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Adding viewer interactive element to Videos
on Nov 9, 2018 at 7:05:15 pm

I think that’s not something you’re going to do without writing some code. Where does it have to run - what hardware, operating system does it need to be compatible with?

I’d persoanally probably just do it in HTML, and write a custom JavaScript player that knew when the objects occurred and was waiting for the mouse/space bar to trigger after each object appeared.

Interesting that it’s video based. Most reaction timers are 100% scripted to be random so they can test the same person more than once.

There may be better and easier apps for developing something like this but it’s been half a decade since I had to do anything interactive and I haven’t kept up with things but to me that’s probably the fastest and most universal way of achieving hat you’re after.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Timothy Gienapp
on Nov 9, 2018 at 7:50:09 pm

Hey Jeff

Thanks for your insights on HTML and JavaScript; as you might have guessed I am way out of my comfort zone on this and your suggestion gives me options to look at.

Enjoy
Tim

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Nov 9, 2018 at 7:06:50 pm

Almost sounds like you need some instructional design software. Inside most there are tools to do this or the ability to write specific macros.

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Timothy Gienapp
on Nov 9, 2018 at 7:51:41 pm

Thanks Lawrence

Since the videos will be part of an online class this may be a great option.

Enjoy
Tim

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 13, 2018 at 4:42:41 pm

This could be built in Visual Basic. The modules for the various timing, display, and scoring functions are probably already written. A trip to GitHub is in order... and a sixer of red bulls for your coder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]