APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Does Match Color have a trick to making it work?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyrina Bluerose
Does Match Color have a trick to making it work?
on Nov 7, 2018 at 11:02:05 am

It's only worked maybe 1 out of 5 times I try to use it.
Great feature - I'd like to use it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Does Match Color have a trick to making it work?
on Nov 7, 2018 at 8:50:52 pm

It works best when the frames of each clip are roughly identical but even then it’s hit and miss. Basically it’s a nice idea that doesn’t work all that well. The same feature in Color Grading Central’s new CinemaGrade plugin is more reliable - but only just.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
on Nov 8, 2018 at 6:26:15 am

thank you for the response.
comforting it's not me
disappointing that it doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Nov 9, 2018 at 4:31:48 am

I formerly used Hawaiki Automatch, which worked pretty well. You pick several match points of different colors, and it has lots of tuning controls. I haven't used it in a long time because I just match shots manually now.

It was harder to use for multicam due to some UI issues; that's the main reason I quit using it.

https://hawaiki.co/automatch.html

Just using FCPX you can have two side-by-side clips and waveforms, however one must be in the Event Viewer. This tutorial demonstrates how:

In this video Larry Jordan shows how to crop to a patch of skin and use the vector scope to adjust skin tone. You can use this technique to match skin tone between two clips:

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
on Nov 9, 2018 at 9:11:03 am

Thank you!

Haven't learned any color correcting yet so hopefully this will be a good intro. I've just been trying to use the basic dots in the inspector and eyeball it. Looking forward to learning how to bring two clips into the viewer for sure - that would be helpful in many cases. Hopefully I'll be able to use FCPX again soon.

Much appreciation for your sharing your admirable knowledge!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]