APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

water pane change water direction?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyrina Bluerose
water pane change water direction?
on Nov 7, 2018 at 10:31:17 am

I have an image cropped perpendicular to the original image so my water is running sideways.

Possible to change the flow direction of water pane water?

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
Re: water pane change water direction?
on Nov 8, 2018 at 2:30:42 pm

Three thoughts:

Reverse direction of the clip. (Little speedometer looking icon under the Viewer.)
Rotate clip 90 or 180 degrees in the Inspector. (Transform)
Apply the Flipped effect (under the Distortion category).

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
on Nov 9, 2018 at 12:02:45 am

Thanks, Joby!
All good suggestions. Will try them when I can get my program useable again. May just have to re-shoot what I need there already flipped.
Surprised there isn't a way to change the water direction in the inspector - everything else is there...
:)

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Dec 5, 2018 at 4:40:58 pm

Kyrina, I owe you an apology. I think misunderstood your original question. I was rummaging through the various effects in FCPX and came across the water pane effect, and then it clicked.

I did some testing and it looks like that effect is locked to the orientation of the clip it is applied to (so if you rotate the clip 90 degrees, the effect goes 90 degrees as well). It does not look like the effect can be rotated independently.

One solution might be to use Motion. It's possible it has a water effect that might offer more variables for adjusting settings. But how you exactly do that in Motion goes beyond my skill set at this time.

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
on Dec 5, 2018 at 8:59:43 pm

Thank you! Can't believe you would remember this post after all this time. I just re-shot the clip I needed. AND had to re-create the original artwork to do so-but I took that as an opportunity to practice learning time-lapse.

OK, so That would be a cool addition to effects - to be able to have more controls over water pane. It would be super handy if ever looking through a moving car windshield - wouldn't want to rotate the frame if the people would be upside down, and camera op/cinematographer may not know to shoot upside down. Or creepy horror movie where some things aren't as they should be... Lots of potential uses.

Thank you!

Much appreciation for your sharing your admirable knowledge!

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
on Dec 5, 2018 at 9:09:27 pm

Motion - also a great suggestion.
don't know it yet, still self-training FCPX, PS, LPX. Maybe next will be Motion, LR, & Flash.
not great at learning programs, but somehow it seems necessary to be able to use them.
😋

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Dec 6, 2018 at 1:17:59 pm

Agreed; becoming more familiar with Motion's capabilities would make me a better editor, even if for simple things like manipulating text. Larry Jordan and Ripple Training seem to be solid places to pick up tips, tricks, and formal paid-for training.

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]