APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Lost Proxies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Odille Grouillard
Lost Proxies
on Nov 7, 2018 at 1:16:44 am

Hello,

Still pretty new to FCPX so please be patient.

Long story short: my external hard drive died and I lost all the transcoded footage.

I have the .mxf files from the shoot, and the "Missing Proxy" .mov files in the Clips folder.

I tried relinking the .mxf to the .mov files and transcoding them but this created these high contrast proxies that I can't seem to modify.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated,
Odille

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Lost Proxies
on Nov 7, 2018 at 9:49:04 am

There are several types of proxies, and I can't tell which you are using without more information.

There are camera-generated proxies. Normally FCPX cannot use camera-generated proxies.

There are some hacks to produce externally-generated proxies via various transcoding tools, but I'm not sure of the relink behavior in those cases: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/2124-streamlining-cloud-proxy-wor...

There are FCPX-generated internal proxies which are stored inside the library.

There are FCPX-generated external proxies which are stored outside the library. This procedure is described in Ripple Training's FCPX 10.4 Media Management tutorial: https://www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cut-pro/media-management-in-f...

It sounds like maybe you're using external FCPX-created proxies, ie outside the library? The library embeds the original disk volume name when they were created. In my experience relinking to external proxies is unreliable. The trick of re-creating the existing proxies which kicks off an invisible proxy relink doesn't always work either.

In that case The shortest workaround is rename your disk volume to the original volume name when the proxies were created. You can do that by doing "Get Info" on the drive and changing the name. For internal proxies relink seems more reliable, but you could also try this method for that situation.

However if you've already unsuccessfully tried other relink steps, this might not work. Before trying steps like relinking, loading XMLs, it's often best to make a file-level backup of the library. That way you can revert to the original state if it doesn't work.

As long as your original media is OK and you can relink to that, you can just drop any existing proxies using File>Delete Generated Library Files, select "proxy". Then you can select all the clips in the Event Browser, right-click, select "Transcode" and regenerate new proxies.

Return to posts index

Odille Grouillard
on Nov 7, 2018 at 1:32:31 pm

I don't believe they were external proxies as they were created when I transcoded the .mxf files during the original import and FCP file on the hard drive was huge.

The orignal external hard drive is dead and I don't remember how it was organized or named. The original media fine as we have several back up of those. I can relink the .mov files to the .mxf files but it creates these high contrast images when I transcode them.

Is my best bed to create new .mov external proxies and just relink them? Or is there a transcoding setting that stop the .mxf files from going high contrast when I relink then transcode them?

Thanks for your help, FCPX is a tad tricky.

Odille

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Nov 8, 2018 at 1:34:38 pm

Odille, since you mentioned being still fairly new to FCPX, it might be helpful to review what it's doing under the hood (and forgive me if this info is already familiar to you).

If you're letting FCPX do all the work (no workflows external to FCPX), and you've got FCPX keeping all media "internal" to the FCPX library, when you right-click a library in the Finder and select Show Package Contents, go to the Event folder for your media. Inside of that you'll find two folders: Original Media and Transcoded Media. FCPX will rewrap your MXF files to .MOV. It does this automatically, and you'll find those under Original Media. Upon ingest (i.e., Import Media), you have the option of creating Optimized Media and Proxy Media. Both will also be wrapped .MOV. If you don't do this step at ingest, it can be done later by right clicking the clip in the Browser. The Optimized and Proxy Media are both a ProRes codec, but the Proxy Media is simply a smaller resolution.

You can also setup a library to store these external to the library. It wasn't clear to me which of these three flavors of your footage you might be trying to relink back to, and whether some or all of it was external to the library and sitting on the dead harddrive. But, maybe knowing which of the three flavors you're aiming for might help your troubleshooting.

Two thoughts:

Since you're likely starting over with a new harddrive (and remember to always buy two--one for backup), it might be more efficient to start from scratch and let FCPX do all the work to re-create the flavors you want. So long as clip names haven't changed, you should be able to copy/paste timelines from the original library to the new library. And of course, test this idea with a couple of clips first so you don't spend more time on something that may not work the way you need it to.

The high contrast clips isn't an issue I've encountered before, even after a relink. Makes me wonder if a setting got changed for the Color Space Override, or a LUT was applied. Go to the Inspector (Command 4) and go to Settings (under Metadata Views). There you'll see a variety of settings for a clip, such as Video Roles, Alpha Handling, etc.

Best of luck in getting yourself back up to speed! Dead harddrives are indeed sad (and stressful) events.

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Nov 8, 2018 at 2:29:40 pm

I agree with what Joby said. If Odille has the original media and the original library, just delete the current proxies and generate new ones.

If the library was also lost during the drive crash, what is he using now? A file-level backup of the library, or was the library in /Movies on the system drive and is OK? There are also auto-saved backup libraries which FCPX puts by default in /Movies/Final Cut Backups.

The #1 goal is verify and relink the original media and verify any projects are still valid. Proxies are merely generated files -- whether they are good or damaged in some way, they can be regenerated.

If the original library or a "good enough" backup of it is available, and if they show red (missing) clips due to the media file locations being different -- that's with the viewer in "original media" mode, not proxy mode -- you can relink to media files which are in a different folder structure. Note: this is relinking to the original media files, not necessarily to the proxies. FCPX will search all files on an entire disk volume to achieve this. Procedure: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12701?locale=en_US

After a successful relink to the original files and verifying the projects are OK, then drop all proxies and recreate them.

If the original library exists and internal proxies were used, they will normally be present before the media relink if the viewer is in proxy mode. I don't know why his proxies look funny, but the best procedure is probably relink the original files, drop and recreate the proxies.

To be doubly cautious it's often good to make a file-level backup of the library before doing anything else. That ensures you can at least revert back to the previous state.

It might also be good to sequester any existing FCPX library backups, which are by default stored in /Movies/Final Cut Backups. These contain only the edit commands, not proxies, media, or cache. In case something is wrong with his current library, saving these will ensure they are later available for troubleshooting.

Return to posts index

Odille Grouillard
on Nov 12, 2018 at 7:13:55 pm

Thanks, this helped a lot!
O

Return to posts index

Odille Grouillard
on Nov 12, 2018 at 7:13:06 pm

Thanks for all the help, it saved the day.
Everything is recovered/relinked/rendered.
I appreciate the help.
Thank you,
O

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]