APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Corporate vids: Should I use one library and one event for all footage/projects?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Smith
Corporate vids: Should I use one library and one event for all footage/projects?
on Oct 16, 2018 at 7:30:17 pm

Hi, I started using FCPX's Libraries as the main 'container' for each corporate video I'm producing for my company. Then I realized I have to duplicate footage into the next movies Library in order to use common clips.... so I started using one Library and creating a new event for each new video.... except now I'm realizing events seem to have the same restriction: In order to use an already-used clip from a previous event I have to copy the footage again into the new event within the same library. So much duplication of 4k footage is going to suck up my 4tb of storage space pretty quick.

In the situation where I'd be creating 40 or more 5 minute videos potentially sharing many clips, is the recommended approach to have one library, one event, and consider each video a project? Seems like I'll have to be a keyword organizing wizard in the scenario... but how else to get the job done without duplicating footage over and over?

Or, is my reluctance to duplicate footage across libraries/events just going to cause grief down the road trying to force FCPX into my way of thinking.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
Re: Corporate vids: Should I use one library and one event for all footage/projects?
on Oct 17, 2018 at 11:14:52 am

Dave,
Instead of importing & copying the well used assets, maybe leave them on a place on your network or a folder on your storage device, on import?

“Choose a storage location for the media files:

Copy the files to the current library: Select “Copy to library” to duplicate the files and place the copies in the current library storage location. For information about setting the storage location for a library, see Manage storage locations.

Note: The name of this option changes to “Copy to library storage location: location name” when the current library is set to an external storage location.

Link to the files at their current location: Select “Leave files in place.”

Note: If you select this option, Final Cut Pro creates symbolic links (also known as symlinks), which are special files that point to the media files. If you later copy or move clips between events, only the symbolic links are copied or moved (not the source media files). To replace the symbolic links with the actual source media files, select the events and choose File > Consolidate Event Files. For more information about files and clips, see Media files and clips.”

Just a thought,

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Dave Smith
Re: Corporate vids: Should I use one library and one event for all footage/projects?
on Oct 17, 2018 at 1:24:17 pm

Jeez... didn't even think of that. Sometimes the brain makes things tooo complicated. =] . I'll never really know which footage is going to be needed so it sounds like this would be the ultimate solution for all footage. And, now that I think of it... my other recent problem with audio seemingly being stripped from original footage on import would have one of the possible causes negated: the import copy process. Now I'll have to figure out how to get all my footage out of these libraries to their own logical folder structure after the fact. Thanks man... much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Oct 17, 2018 at 2:03:02 pm

Walk carefully if digging into the actual library file to extract the original files. It can be done, but it can also wreak havoc. This article by Larry Jordan, however, will help. It's older, talking about 10.1, but the principles, I believe are still relevant for 10.4:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-convert-managed-to-external-media/

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Dave Smith
on Oct 17, 2018 at 6:12:47 pm

Seen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 17, 2018 at 8:26:47 pm

The great thing about Lawrence's suggestion is, it reduces the storage overhead because you're not making multiple copies of the footage over and over for each new thing you make. Saves a lot of drive space.

"All magic comes with a price", though, and the price for this trick is, lose the raw footage that's in one shared pool, or just corrupt the symlink, and you've borked *every* project that depended on it. So do consider having a secondary backup somewhere.

Return to posts index

Dave Smith
on Oct 18, 2018 at 3:01:19 pm

Great point.... not a fan of the bork. =]

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 17, 2018 at 9:02:49 pm

[Dave Smith] "I started using one Library and creating a new event for each new video.... except now I'm realizing events seem to have the same restriction: In order to use an already-used clip from a previous event I have to copy the footage again into the new event within the same library. So much duplication of 4k footage is going to suck up my 4tb of storage space pretty quick. "

Any media managed by FCPX on the same disk volume, whether inside the library or using external storage, will automatically be hard linked to a single copy of the media. If you copy media within FCPX to another event, that may appear at the Finder level to be another file in another disk folder, but it is actually a single file. It doesn't take any more space. This can be verified with the terminal commands ls -i to list the file inode and ls -l to list the file reference count. This only applies if the media is on the same disk volume.

[Dave Smith] "...In the situation where I'd be creating 40 or more 5 minute videos potentially sharing many clips, is the recommended approach to have one library, one event, and consider each video a project? Seems like I'll have to be a keyword organizing wizard in the scenario... but how else to get the job done without duplicating footage over and over?..."

You don't necessarily need multiple events. Practically speaking, an event is just a tag or label. You click on it and it shows that label's contents, similar to clicking on a keyword collection. It's true in the current file-level implementation, an event is a folder with media files inside. However there's no reason future versions could not change this and still retain the same user-facing event/folder metaphor. Gmail does that already -- what you may perceive as a folder in the sidebar is actually just a label. It's all managed invisibly by a database.

I have used a single event for very large projects, so there is generally not a performance issue.

However you can also have multiple events and combine those in a single project (aka timeline) without duplicating the media to the other events. You can add any clip to any project in any event and FCPX will never complain about copying media across events. That is only the case with multiple libraries.

You can even have one event with all your projects and those can reference clips from other events. Some people do that -- have all their projects in one event.

Before FCPX had library-wide smart collections there was a reason to be careful about having your data spread across too many events. In those days you couldn't search across multiple events using a smart collection. Today you can. You can also effectively have library-wide keyword collections by creating a smart collection at the highest level right under the library, pressing + and adding keywords as search items. E.g, you could have a keyword "cat" in several different events. Within each event if you click the keyword collection "cat" it will only show you the clips or ranges with that keyword within one event. But if you create a library-wide smart collection using the keyword "cat", that will then show you all clips or ranges with that keyword across all events.

So you can go either way -- have a single event and keyword everything or use multiple events and pull clips/ranges for a given project. You don't need to duplicate media by copying that within FCPX. However the media you have already duplicated is not taking up any more space if it's on the same disk volume. But it's not a good idea to have duplicate clips from a management standpoint, even if no more space is used.

Another reason you don't need duplicate clips is the clips themselves are never edited or changed. The edits are recorded as metadata within the library. You can have multiple timelines in multiple events referencing the same clip in yet another event, and all the edits are stored as metadata, the clip itself is not physically changed. You don't need a separate copy of the clip for each timeline or project.

Return to posts index

Dave Smith
on Oct 18, 2018 at 9:14:20 pm

Ok this is confusing. What I have seen is the inability to use a clip from a project in one event... in another project in another event (in the same library) without 'copying' the clip to the new event. I think I have to re-read your post a few times to be sure I'm understanding correctly. Unless... I am correct, and you are saying that 'copy' process is just creating an alias to the original (in it's original location). Hmmm, ok... that would be awesome, because it just means the only thing I have to do to solve this all is simply look at it differently / understand more clearly what is happening when it says 'copy'. huh!! =]

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 19, 2018 at 12:32:25 pm

[Dave Smith] "What I have seen is the inability to use a clip from a project in one event... in another project in another event (in the same library) without 'copying' the clip to the new event."

I don't see that behavior. If clip1 is used in project1 in event1, then you create event2 and inside that project2, you can open project2 and from the Event Browser go back to event1 and drag/drop or use the E key to add clip1 from event1 to project2 in event2. You need not copy the media to event2. This is within the same library. Obviously clips must be duplicated if dragged/dropped between libraries, however even then no more space is consumed if on the same disk volume.

If you previously duplicated clips between events, it's still not taking up more space. FCPX doesn't physically duplicate the media at a file level. Even though within FCPX two duplicate clips appear, one in each event, if you look inside the library package there is only one clip in one event. This isn't an alias or even a hard link, but the behavior is similar to an alias. FCPX gives the illusion of that clip being in two different events and you can use it as if it were there. But it's not really duplicated at the file level. This illustrates why thinking of events strictly as file-level folders is misleading. For all we know a future version of FCPX could totally eliminate the folder aspect of events (at the file level) and handle it all via a database, yet the appearance and behavior within FCPX would be unchanged.

Even if you drag/drop clips between libraries on the same disk volume, the media files, proxy files or optimized media files are not truly duplicated, courtesy of hard links. They will show as duplicated both in FCPX and at the file level. However each one is actually hard linked to a single copy of the file, so won't take up any more space. This can be confirmed by going inside the library and using the terminal command ls -i which shows both copies of the files have the same inode -- they are actually the same file. Also the reference count of the file (shown by ls -l) increments each time files are copied across libraries within FCPX but no more disk space is consumed, if on the same disk volume.

It is conceivable if you are using an older version of FCPX or your media files are not on HFS+ or APFS, this behavior might be different. In general all FCPX media should be on HFS+ or APFS, not on exFAT or NTFS. I don't know the behavior if on a NAS.

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Oct 19, 2018 at 12:53:11 pm

And correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way to see from inside FCPX whether the clip is the actual file or an alias. The only way to confirm the original clip's location is from outside FCPX, either via Terminal or actually going into the Library package file via Finder.

Again, unless I've missed it, that's one feature to FCPX that'd be invaluable (IMO).

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 19, 2018 at 3:04:53 pm

[Joby Anthony Jr] "or actually going into the Library package file via Finder.
"

I had one case where I Consolidated to an external drive but my library package had the same files sitting outside of the package on the same volume.
So I thought maybe it was a mistake so I deleted the ones inside the package and was wrong.
Had to move the files back into the library.
The files within the package did not have shortcuts and showed exact file sizes in info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]