APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can't export .dv file out of FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erick Puentes
Can't export .dv file out of FCPX
on Oct 12, 2018 at 12:14:04 pm

So I have this .dv file which I imported into FCPX and it seemed to transcode fine and plays correctly within FCPX. Every time I go to export it, whether via master file or out to compressor it fails to export. For the life of me, I can't get this thing to export. I don't have issues with other projects, granted this is the only .dv file I have so it's definitely the culprit. Does anyone have any idea of what can be causing this?

Oh one last thing, the original .dv file can't be copied to anything outside of my computer. Anytime I try to copy the file I get an "Error code 36". I'm sure that has something to do with it as well. I'm perplexed because it plays just fine but I can't seem to do anything else with it.

Thank you in advance!

~Erick

Return to posts index

Tommy Brown
Re: Can't export .dv file out of FCPX
on Oct 12, 2018 at 12:24:18 pm

Hi Eric

Sounds like a dodgy source file. Have you tried Edit Ready.

What I have also done with strange or old formats like this that don't work properly or transcode I import in After Effects and then export to ProRes. Sometime I have to export around the damaged area. The fact that you can't copy it off your HD seems like it is a corrupt file.

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 12, 2018 at 1:52:57 pm
Last Edited By Erick Puentes on Oct 12, 2018 at 2:04:23 pm

I have not tried "Edit Ready". Don't know if I should spend $50 just to see if it'll work. The trail only encodes the first minute of a clip. This is easily a 6-7 minute clip and the problem area might not appear in the first minute. The AE idea is interesting. I'll give that go and see how it works. I'm now wondering if Motion can do something similar to AE in terms of the way it exports to ProRes. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try later tonight and get back with results.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 12, 2018 at 3:11:39 pm

Try to optimize the file in FCPX, then import the optimized file and has that. Delete the dv file completely out of the library.

You can also try Compressor (or Motion) to make a new version.

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 12, 2018 at 5:36:40 pm

@jeremy Thanks, I'll give that a go as well.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 12, 2018 at 6:20:38 pm

For safety's sake, you should first make a solid backup of the original file with some form of checksum duplication before you start working with, or delete anything. If you don't have something like Carbon Copy Cloner or Shotput or Hedge - then at least make a finder copy to external media via drag and drop.

It's alway better to have a solid copy of the original file (if you can) to "re-process" should some transcode not work.

Just a suggestion.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 12, 2018 at 6:27:33 pm

@Bill Unfortunately that seems to be one of the original problems. I can't seem to copy the file to any external storage or server. Every time I do I get that Error 36 and I have no idea why. I can play the video via Quicktime and when I import it into FCPX, it transcodes just fine and I can play it in the timeline. The issue is when I go to export it either within FCPX or bounce it out to Compressor, it fails to export every time.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 12, 2018 at 7:37:20 pm

For what it’s worth, and this might be a little vague because it’s been a couple of years since I had to deal with it, error code 36 was related to the ._ invisible file associated with the file or directory in the Finder and most often occurs with files and directories created on a Windows machine, then copied to the Mac.

At the time, I found a utility that cleaned out the relevant ._ files and the error went away. Unhelpfully, I can’t remember what it was called though.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 15, 2018 at 7:12:10 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "error code 36 was related to the ._ invisible file associated with the file or directory in the Finder and most often occurs with files and directories created on a Windows machine, then copied to the Mac. "

This, I think, is the correct diagnosis. There's a UNIX command line tool (built into MacOS) called 'dot_clean' that can be run from Terminal.app.

How comfortable are you with the command line, Erick?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 15, 2018 at 7:19:07 pm

@Doug Thank you for the suggestion but I actually when down that path of trying to fix the file via Terminal with the "dot_clean" method and it didn't work. I have a feeling this is close to the solution but for some reason, the Google universe doesn't seem to have another option/solution to fix this type of file error.

@Jeremy It will allow me to duplicate the file and even rename it but regardless it won't allow me to copy it off of the drive without the error. I also did as you mentioned and opened "get info" and set the correct permissions, still nothing.

You guys are awesome for trying to help out. I hope some sort of solution presents itself that will work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2018 at 7:25:21 pm

[Erick Puentes] " I have a feeling this is close to the solution but for some reason, the Google universe doesn't seem to have another option/solution to fix this type of file error.
"

It's easy to list hidden files in terminal.

Open Terminal.

Type "cd" and then hit the space bar.

Now drag the folder that contains the errant dv file to the terminal. This should list out the directory.

Now hit return. This will change Terminal to the folder that contains the dv file.

Now type "ls -a"

what does it list?

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 16, 2018 at 12:00:51 am

It lists all the files and folders, including the .dv file I’m having an issue with.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2018 at 12:16:39 am

Are there any files that start with a period? Those are the hidden files.

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 16, 2018 at 12:37:53 am

Yes. I have the following four items if you want to include the first two that are just dots with no name.

.DS_Store
.localized

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2018 at 12:53:53 am

In terminal, and in the appropriate directory chosen (that is the cd command and drag the folder that has the Dv file), type:

find . -name '.DS_Store' -type f -delete

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 16, 2018 at 3:39:49 am

Well, the command deleted he intended file but I'm still having the same issues copying the .dv file. For a moment I thought it was going to work. :(

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Oct 15, 2018 at 3:16:18 pm

So I tried to optimize the media in FCPX, which seemed to go fine but when I went to export it out either natively or through compressor, it failed. Placing it inside an AE project and exporting failed as well. The damn thing plays in FCPX fine but can't get it out. There has got to be a way. How is it that FCPX can play it, yet not export it out.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2018 at 3:18:34 pm

[Erick Puentes] "How is it that FCPX can play it, yet not export it out."

Some sort of corruption.

Can you duplicate the clip on the Finder level? That may shake loose permission errors.

If that doesn't work, you should try and "Get Info" on the file and turn off all permissions.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 22, 2018 at 7:23:55 pm

One more try on this one... do you have Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools?

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance/

There are a couple of things in that suite which might work - QT Repair and Media Salvage.

It's gotta be a corrupt file. You could also try exporting portions of the .dv clip... either in QT7 or FCPX. Start with the first half, then the second. If it bombs, split the half in half and repeat until you find the frames that are hosed. I think, if the section of the file you're trying to export is good, it'll let you export the good bits. Maybe.

Good luck!

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]