APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

position tool won't stack clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyrina Bluerose
position tool won't stack clips
on Sep 21, 2018 at 11:47:05 am

Hi,

I am editing a music video and made a simple intercutting two-measure sequence in one (workshop) project and am now trying to place it in the correct place in the actual project. It won't stack over the audio using arrow or position tool. Second time in a row - first time I used the end of the main project as a workspace. What's the secret? I'm not coming from some other NLE, just a beginner user of FCPX running into all sorts of inconsistencies that I don't understand or know how to fix and fairly frustrated.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: position tool won't stack clips
on Sep 21, 2018 at 4:50:36 pm

[Kyrina Bluerose] " It won't stack over the audio using arrow or position tool. "

Position tool allows you to move a clip in the primary storyline and "overwrite" whatever is underneath the final position of the clip.

It does not stack clips. For that, you can move the clip out of the primary (command-option-uparrow) making that clip a connected clip. Then you can move that clip over to where you need it.

Is this what you mean?

You can also copy the clip out of the workshop, and paste as connected (option-v) in the main Project.

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
on Sep 21, 2018 at 9:47:57 pm

Thank you!
Command-shift-uparrow did not work and i got the computer's "no" sound.
Option-v worked, but without transitions. I guess it's just best not to have a workshop space and just work directly in the main project if stuff will be lost. I will get lots of use out of option-v though for sure :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 21, 2018 at 10:19:37 pm

Sorry, command-option-up arrow.

Return to posts index

Kyrina Bluerose
on Sep 21, 2018 at 10:24:53 pm

MAGICK!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>