APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX storage locations are unavailable

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Crochet
FCPX storage locations are unavailable
on Sep 9, 2018 at 11:44:21 pm

I tried searching for this issue in the forums, but couldn't find an exact solution. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate any help. I'm new to this forum; somewhat familiar with FCP but not an expert by any means.

Recently, I have been working on a film project called "Summer" in FCPX. I am passing it off to someone else to finish. I copied the same exact files to a new hard drive, tested it on my laptop and sent the drive in the mail. My friend booted up the drive and when he tried to open the "Summer" fcpx file, it gave him this message:

Some storage locations for the library "Summer" are unavailable.
Do any of the following:
-connect to the storage location and click Check Again
-set new storage locations for the library
-click Close Library

Then it shows Media, Motion Content, Cache and Backups with drop-down menus next to each, and Media and Cache have yellow triangles with exclamation marks next to them. I walked my friend through troubleshooting over the phone. Close Library and Check Again did not resolve. Clicking on the drop-down and searching for the folder showed the folders greyed out and un-selectable. We then tried to Reconnect Media within FCPX, and again, the files were greyed out and un-selectable.

I also had him open another film project on the same hard drive, "37FQ" and it opened in FCPX with no problems.

As I walked him through all this, I walked through the same steps on my laptop. My files were selectable and I was not experiencing the same thing he was.

My last resort was to create a new xml file and emailed him, and it still gave the same error the original file did.

If anyone has ideas for a non-tech-savvy person, we'd appreciate any help we can get. Specs are below.

created on:
MacOS High Sierra
MacBook Pro 15-in 2016
Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 gb 2133 MHz LPDDR3
FCPX 10.4.3

sent to friend who uses:
MacOS High Sierra
iMac 21.5-in 2017
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 gb 2133 MHz DDR4
FCPX 10.4.3

Thanks,
Shawn Crochet

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: FCPX storage locations are unavailable
on Sep 10, 2018 at 12:20:14 pm

Perhaps an issue with permissions on that particular folder?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 10, 2018 at 4:51:13 pm

[Shawn Crochet] "-set new storage locations for the library"

That's all you need to do. I typically set the storage location as a folder in with the rest of the media. I usually call it "ProjectName_FCPX_GeneratedMedia". This folder is a repository for copied media, rewrapped media, and optimized/proxy transcodes.

Your colleague will have to setup a folder, and if there's already one setup, then he imply needs to point FCPX to where that folder is on the drive. Typically, this folder remains empty for me as I don't rewrap media, and I rarely generate optimized or Proxy files.

As far as the Cache, he needs to setup a new cache location, which is also very easy. I do not keep in the cache in the library (as it will get huge). I have my cache set to my boot drive, but you can put it anywhere, hopefully on the fastest drive that is attached to the machine, and can handle the space.

Once these small pointers are setup, he will be able to reconnect and edit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shawn Crochet
on Sep 13, 2018 at 2:21:25 am

Thank you both, Steve and Jeremy. Will try both relatively soon, whenever I can square away some time with my friend and walk him through. I appreciate both your input and will keep you posted on the result.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 16, 2018 at 2:40:40 pm

I am going through the same process now due to my current issues (numerous posts on COW).
I have used both within Library and outside of Library.
I even went as far moving the ones outside into a Library.
Yes, I had to run through RELINK at least once and no issue there.
However, now that I am trying to move this over via XML to RESOLVE so I can figure out my issues (Optical Flow, Missing files, etc...).
I had to make sure the files are external and not within the Library.
RESOLVE did not find them in the Library and now I am faced with having to rebuild all the files in a new empty drive.

I've had mixed results with this Copy option and very close to giving up.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 16, 2018 at 3:14:09 pm

I bet you can't wait to finish this project, it doesn't sound like any fun at all!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 17, 2018 at 12:32:09 am

[Steve Connor] "I bet you can't wait to finish this project, it doesn't sound like any fun at all!"

Haha, it would be if I can at least get some work done.
Spending all this time trying to figure out what's wrong is sometimes fun but in this case not so much.
I walked away for the day and looking at it again tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Shawn Crochet
on Sep 30, 2018 at 11:51:08 pm

Looks like the permissions worked! Thank you, Steve! And thank you, Jeremy, for the extra knowledge. I appreciate you both! My friend will keep me posted if anything else arises.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 1, 2018 at 3:25:15 am

[Shawn Crochet] "Looks like the permissions worked! Thank you, Steve! And thank you, Jeremy, for the extra knowledge. I appreciate you both! My friend will keep me posted if anything else arises."

Just to add.
My client reported this issue and I thought it was just another bug added to that dreaded project.
Now instead of me driving over there and checking on it, they dropped off the drive.
Well wouldn't you know it, the drive was full.
Apple should maybe have stated that instead of the message saying a drive is not available.
Would have saved me the trouble.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]