APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Optical Flow hanging machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
Optical Flow hanging machine
on Aug 31, 2018 at 1:15:51 pm

Hi, 10 min short documentary project. Shot on Red Epic Dragon and Epic-W in 6 and 8k. Edited with proxies. Also on timeline is a mix of Sony A7SII footage and some DJI drone. Some of the drone footage has optical flow when the clip has been retimed.

Switching from proxy to original files for master export. Hit export to ProRes. Dialogue box indicates that optical flow hasn't been analysed yet, but when the project is open, there are no background tasks trying to run. Either waiting for optical flow to analyse, or ignoring and hitting export just results in system hang. I've left the system for hours to analyse and nothing progresses past 0%. If I hit export, nothing progresses past 0%. Totally stuck and deadline looming.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Optical Flow hanging machine
on Aug 31, 2018 at 2:53:39 pm

First, trash prefs and see if that works.

Next delete the analyzation file to see if that works.

Next delete cache to see if that works (you can do this on a sequence or event level so you don’t have to trash all of it).

If that doesn’t work:

Try taking that clip offline (find the alias in the library and delete it).

Or reimport the clip and add back to timeline.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 4, 2018 at 10:19:11 am

Tried all of this. Nothing works. Totally stuck and having to export master encodes from proxy files rather than the original red raw files. Seems that optical flow is not working at all, as even switching it on to one piece of DJI footage that didn't have it before is grinding the machine to a halt. So frustrating.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 4, 2018 at 12:04:08 pm

If you bring that clip in to a fresh library, does that work?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 4, 2018 at 12:28:29 pm

I'll try!

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 5, 2018 at 9:48:11 am

Still no - but weirdly, if I highlight a clip in the main browser window and go to relink, the relink tool can't see any clips?

Might need to do a fresh install of FCPX.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 5, 2018 at 11:17:18 am

That would be a good idea. Definitely some strange happenings going on.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 12, 2018 at 4:21:39 pm

This seems to be a pretty serious bug. I'm having constant crashes when I try and export from the raw timeline, and even though the optical flow effects are only found on DJI footage, exporting from the red raw project not the proxies is totally impossible. I've tried trashing everything, deleting render files, deleting cache, duplicating projects, re-installing and nothing has worked. Either the project has become totally corrupted by having optical flow added, or there is a bug when working with ultra high resolution timelines because I am totally stuck. I'm having to rebuild the whole project inside Resolve - thank god for resolve here, because FCPX has left me stuck with only a proxy project able to export from. Never experienced it before, but never really had to work with optical flow in high resolution much before.

Any more ideas at all?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2018 at 7:33:05 pm

Have you hit Red up about this?

I recently completed a project in 8k with no issues, but I did notice the Red Apple software didn’t support FCPX over 6k or something like that.

But I crossed my finger and it worked.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 13, 2018 at 4:56:49 am

I have a similar issue where optical flow analysis is persistent even after deleting it from Library.
Eight clips that are not RED files too.
I checked all eight clips and it's not using Optical Flow as the engine.
When I open FCPX the task sits there taunting me and I have to shut it off.
I've copied and consolidated this project twice to see if it sheds it and still no go ☹
I can live with it and def will never inherit a project like this again :P

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2018 at 12:00:29 pm

Hmm.

So there’s analysis happening when there is not a need for it to analyze?

Are there analysis files in the cache?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 13, 2018 at 3:57:51 pm

Nope, I deleted the cache in hopes it would stop.
I'm a the point where when the Library opens I click on the task option and stop all processes.
It seems to stop and allows me to move forward but when I quit the app hangs.
I just crash it and move on with my life :P

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 13, 2018 at 5:10:51 pm

Totally the same. Switch the project from proxy to original media, a rendering bar appears in tasks which starts, but a process appears for optical flow analysis. This stays at 0% even if I leave the project open overnight. I’ve trashed preferences, deleted cache, deleted analysis files for the whole library, updated fcpx to most recent version, uninstalled and re-installed and it still happens with this library. Starting fresh doesn’t help as this is a 12 min short for a huge corporate client that has been worked on for 6 months.

Macpro2013, 6 core, 64GB, D700, media on gtech studio xl via thunderbolt 2. Media is mixed red helium 8K, red dragon 6k, a7s h264, a7s timelapse avi and dji drone and all of this is stored on the t2 raid. Plenty of spare space - 28TB. All audio files are either mp3, was or embedded with the red files. Optical flow was used on the proxy files of the dji footage only, not the red raw. Project is set at 3840x2160 25p.

I’ve worked on fcpx for years and love it - it has its faults but I really want to find the answer as if it re-occurs it means I will have to manually create 6 and 8K prores 4444 files before creating the library and abandon the proxy workflow...lots of encode time and double size storage space required. I’ve seen a few people on YouTube finding issues with optical flow and their approaches have made no difference. Only thing I haven’t done is export an extended xml and rebuild the project inside a new library....

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 13, 2018 at 5:12:12 pm

Should also add, fcpx becomes completely unresponsive and crashes if I cancel the optical flow analysis.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2018 at 6:15:05 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Only thing I haven’t done is export an extended xml and rebuild the project inside a new library...."

I would simply make a new library and drag and drop the Events from the old one in to a new one.

It may take a little while, but it would be worth it if things start to operate more efficiently.

I always use RCX to make Red proxies. I cut in regular "optimized' mode in FCPX, and then relink to the R3D raw when I need them. It bypasses the Proxy switch in FCPX.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 13, 2018 at 8:32:14 pm

That’s great experienced advice thank you jeremy. I’m guessing you export from redcine x Into a separate folder but use the same file name as the r3d to ensure easy re-linking?

I usually work on the r3d files so I hope that the optical flow issues are only linked to the proxy/original workflow in fcpx.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 13, 2018 at 4:39:17 pm

Sounds exactly the same as my experience with this project. I think the proxy workflow with optical flow has a bug when being taken back to original media which corrupts the library file and the project.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 13, 2018 at 4:42:22 pm

Add this to the huge issues I am having with Consolidate kinda puts me in the hate column for FCPX.
I've never ran into this issues in the past when it came down to moving Libraries before.
I have a few posts on my issues already and still no answer.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 17, 2018 at 12:44:16 pm

Tom, what are your specs?
I'm running High Sierra on a MacPro 2013 D700/64GB.
FCPX 10.4.3 (tested on 10.4.2)

Reason for asking is that my client took the project back and they are not having issues on their lowly iMac.
I have to see to believe it, I'm getting all this via text messaging.

I found a topic in FCP.CO with similar issues with High Sierra but on a MacBookPro.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 18, 2018 at 2:24:53 am

Update:

A new twist to this project.
When the client said things worked on their end.
They failed to tell me that they didn't hook up the other drives.
Part of my job was to move the Libary into a faster Thunderbolt 2 drive.
However, they have more files to deal with sitting in other USB3 drives.
Once they connected those drives, the issue reared its ugly head :p
So now I have them copy the files they need to that drive via finder, then run FCPX without the suspect drives online.
Crossing fingers that it's not the files.
According to the client, the minute they started the Library, it started crashing similar to my results at my studio.
Again hoping its not the files.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 18, 2018 at 3:04:40 am

Exactly the same, Mac Pro 2013 6 core, 64GB d700s. Media is all stored on a fast thunderbolt 2 raid

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 22, 2018 at 12:30:46 am

[Tom Sefton] "Exactly the same, Mac Pro 2013 6 core, 64GB d700s. Media is all stored on a fast thunderbolt 2 raid"

Installed FCPX 10.4.3 on a work computer with same specs as my home system.
Did not get the Optical Flow issues.
Mounted the drive at home again and issues still persist.
I think its time to re-install OS and apps on this.
I've never had issues with this computer so crossing fingers.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2018 at 2:23:24 am

How about trying a new user first, just to see if that helps?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 22, 2018 at 2:37:46 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "How about trying a new user first, just to see if that helps?"

Gave it a shot and still no go.
After testing this on a few different types of Macs I am sure it's my computer at fault.
As well as some corrupt files since it did occur at clients when other drives are connected.
I got this project down to one drive so no need to worry about that.
I'll just finish it on another system.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 29, 2018 at 9:50:30 pm

I posted on "DOA PROJECT" my conclusion.
It turns out it was a stupid TRANSITION called FLOW.
Removed it and now all is good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]