APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Optimal sequence setting in FCP X for 12-bit and 10-bit camera media file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
Optimal sequence setting in FCP X for 12-bit and 10-bit camera media file
on Aug 29, 2018 at 5:44:03 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Aug 29, 2018 at 5:45:14 pm

I'm using the latest 10.4.3. Still haven't figure out the ideal SDR & HDR settings in FCP X when dealing with mixed color bit depth sources.

I have a mixture of 12-bit Pro Res 4444 from Varicam 35, LT, HS cams (all V-Log gamma), 10-bit 4:2:2 from Varicam, 2/3 ENGs, etc.. (Rec. 709 gamma). My objective is to maximize the color space all of the raw cam footage. I noticed 12-bit media has more depth and colors tonality even w/ regular Retina display monitors during preliminary color grading. I do not mind having larger files. Just want the maximum color range on the raw footage as possible. The final mastering will be in SDR Rec. 709. But may deliver it as HDR Rec. 2020 or other newly established HDR standards in the future too.

I read somewhere in FCP web manual that each clip is now being treated in its native color space and not being converted all to Rec 2020. If so, how can FCPX be properly set to handle multiple bit depths?

What is the optimal sequence setting when dealing with mixed color bit depths (10-12 bit) in FCP X?

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Re: Optimal sequence setting in FCP X for 12-bit and 10-bit camera media file
on Mar 22, 2020 at 6:27:15 pm

Did anyone answer this? I have a similar question, I mix 8-bit and 10-bit footage and don't know if the Library should be Wide Gamut, if the Project should be REC 709 (which is the delivery space, so I guess that answers my second question)...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]