APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX - show used clips in/from ALL projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Krall
FCPX - show used clips in/from ALL projects
on Aug 12, 2018 at 7:15:17 pm

I have lots of clips in my media pool that I make many short videos from and I'd like to avoid duplication of footage on those timelines.

I know the orange bar shows the portion of a clip used in the current project but, I need a way to show all the clips that have been used in multiple projects/timelines using clips from the same pool. I've read multiple threads on this topic but, they're all several years old.

I was hoping in newer versions of FCPX that something might have been done to make this to happen automatically
Anybody know or have uncomplicated suggestions?

Thanks!
RK

Return to posts index

david benz
Re: FCPX - show used clips in/from ALL projects
on Sep 11, 2019 at 8:56:27 am

Hey Richard, did you find an answer to your question ?
or maybe you found another way ... ?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: FCPX - show used clips in/from ALL projects
on Sep 11, 2019 at 2:16:00 pm

[Richard Krall] "I need a way to show all the clips that have been used in multiple projects/timelines using clips from the same pool. "

Yes it would be useful if the FCPX Event Browser had a built-in library-wide filter for used and unused media across all projects. It does this for ratings and keywords - they are not restricted to the currently-selected project.

They might not do this for performance reasons. Each project and snapshot is a separate CurrentVersion.fcpevent file, each containing several SQL tables having possibly many thousand rows based on number of timeline edits. By contrast the Browser-level ratings and keywords are kept in a separate event-level CurrentVersion.fcpevent file. Those are smaller and fewer. The SQLite database need only open each event database and do a union query for library-wide ratings/keywords.

For library or event-wide used/unused media, it would have to open all project databases concurrently and do a much more complex query.

As a workaround you can create a smart collection for used media, then open each project in succession and keyword those "Project1UsedMedia", "Project2UsedMedia", etc. Then in the left sidebar simply CMD+click all of them to show the combined total of all used clip ranges. Or you could create a smart collection for this: add search item "keywords", then pick "Include All" and select the "ProjectXUsedMedia" keyword collections you just tagged.

You could also do the opposite and keyword all unused ranges in the library or event, then display them.

From a database performance standpoint this works because it's using the more efficient event-level databases vs the much more detailed and typically more numerous project-level databases.

However the downside is it's static. As you continuously add clips to new projects it will not get updated. You'd have to remember for each new or changed project to re-do it's "used media" keyword collection. For a final or infrequent check at the end of a large endeavor it's not that bad. It would be nice if it were built in and dynamically updated but I'm not sure that's possible given the Event Browser UI philosophy of nearly-instant response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]