APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Capturing Video Tape into FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
Capturing Video Tape into FCPX?
on Aug 10, 2018 at 7:59:16 pm

I have a DVCAM tape from a customer. I have a DVCAM deck that can output HDMI. How can I capture HDMI into FCPX? The deck also has Component Out. What are my options?

Thanks.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Capturing Video Tape into FCPX?
on Aug 10, 2018 at 8:28:22 pm

You would need to use firewire to capture video in FCPX and DV.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 10, 2018 at 8:33:53 pm

Your DVCAM deck doesn’t have Firewire 400?

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Aug 10, 2018 at 11:07:01 pm

Yes, and it worked great for many years. Now that port isn't working. I've tried different cables etc. And that PC has only firewire input.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Aug 11, 2018 at 12:03:48 am

Here is a techie question I need answered. If I have a HDV or DV tape and capture that footage via Component into my editor, is there a quality difference?

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 11, 2018 at 6:18:00 pm

[Ken Bennett] "If I have a HDV or DV tape and capture that footage via Component into my editor, is there a quality difference?"
Yes, there will be a quality difference because HDV and DV are not a "capture", they are a 1-to-1 digital transfer with absolutely no loss (like copying a file from one folder on your computer to another). The digital bits on the tape are the exact same digital bits on your hard drive.

Component will have some quality loss by definition because it is converting the digital signal on tape to an analog signal for component and then you need and analog-to-digital convert on your Mac to translate it back to digital (something like a Blackmagic Designs Intensity).

So yes, there is a quality difference in the Digital-to-Digital transfer of HDV/DV vs the Digital-Analog-Digital capture of Composite.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]