APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Cropping video question...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Robert Randolph
Cropping video question...
on Jul 12, 2018 at 4:35:34 pm

Here's what I want to do:

Take a full screen recording of my desktop.

Go through and create videos of specific windows. These would be videos cropped to the window, and output at the native resolution of that crop.

I do not care about standardized video sizes. This is for tutorial content. These videos will be inlined with text explanations (as they currently are on my website, the format is working great)

Here's where I need help:

I understand how to crop videos and scale them to the frame size (I think that's the term?). However what I desire is to crop the video and export at exactly the size of the resulting crop.

Currently I'm using screen capturing software to capture the exact portion of the screen I want, but this is very tedious with multiple setups. I rather do the whole screencast in one shot, then crop the specific areas I want in post.

Is there a simple way to get this done?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Cropping video question...
on Jul 12, 2018 at 4:52:49 pm

Set your Project to your output resolution (let's call it 1280x720, or whatever resolution you want).

Add the screen recording to the Project. Set the spatial conform to "none" and adjust the media to fit your chosen resolution by positioning and scaling.

Return to posts index

Robert Randolph
on Jul 12, 2018 at 5:30:48 pm

Brilliant, thank you.

I believe this works for what I need so far.

Return to posts index

Robert Randolph
on Jul 12, 2018 at 5:46:37 pm

.. apparently not.

When I'm cropping, it keeps the aspect ratio, which is not what I desire.

Is there a way to crop with spatial conform set to none, but not have it maintain the current aspect ratio?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:00:38 pm

Can you send a screen grab please?

You need to set the Project to your desired resolution/aspect ratio.

The easiest way to do this is to take a screen grab of the window you want to focus on, see what resolution that is, and set your Project to that size.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:12:45 pm

I should add, if you want to do moves and zooms, then set your project to a multiple of that aspect ratio.

So if your window is 1000x1000, and you to do moves and zooms, set your project to 750x750 or 500x500 to allow more resolution to zoom in to from the original 1000x1000 window size.

Return to posts index

Robert Randolph
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:20:30 pm

I'm not sure what you'd like a screengrab of specifically. Sorry if I'm being dense, but let me give an example.

https://imgur.com/a/MVIeYKe

I have a number of windows I'd like to crop to like this, to create multiple videos of the cropped windows. They are all non-standard sizes that I won't know until I actually crop them.

Is there not an easier way to conform the project frame size to the clip (instead of the clip to the project?). It seems like needing to crop in an image editor, check the frame size, create a new FCP product with that frame size and transforming the clip as needed is a lot of work.

Return to posts index

Robert Randolph
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:23:51 pm

I'm not sure what you'd like a screengrab of specifically. Sorry if I'm being dense, but let me give an example.

https://imgur.com/a/MVIeYKe

I have a number of windows I'd like to crop to like this, to create multiple videos of the cropped windows. They are all non-standard sizes that I won't know until I actually crop them.

Is there not an easier way to conform the project frame size to the clip (instead of the clip to the project?)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:36:35 pm

I meant a screen grab of what you are seeing in FCPX, but this helps too.

[Robert Randolph] "Is there not an easier way to conform the project frame size to the clip (instead of the clip to the project?)"

But don't you want to crop to the size of a window that is part of a larger piece of media? FCPX will not be able to analyze the window size and create a project to that size. FCPX only sees the larger, original recording. You need to tell it what size to make the Project that fits the desired window.

Can you send a full size exported still frame of the entire UI?

Return to posts index

Robert Randolph
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:41:51 pm

Here is a screenshot of my entire FCP screen atm: https://imgur.com/a/PYF8T1N

In this instance I would like to crop the video to the window named "MFreeFormEqualizer". I want the output size to match the crop size with no scaling.

For most projects, I will need to do this 20-30 times per video (on top of the other work for the media content). That's why I'm looking for the fastest workflow possible.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:56:27 pm

From FCPX, can you export a full size PNG or JPG from your screen record?

Return to posts index

Robert Randolph
on Jul 12, 2018 at 7:12:24 pm

https://imgur.com/a/gGy6AXz

I understand the concept of cropping the screenshot, finding the resolution of the crop and setting the frame size in FCP to that.

However if that's the only way to do this, then I think I just need to get a refund for FCP as that's far too tedious.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2018 at 7:17:21 pm

Here's a shot in Preview. I used the crop tool to drag and select the window. You can see the pixel size (1630x1071), then you simply set the pixel size in the Project settings in FCPX and you are done.

See here:

Return to posts index

Robert Randolph
on Jul 12, 2018 at 8:52:30 pm

Thank you, I appreciate your assistance.

I don't think this is a viable workflow for me though.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 12, 2018 at 10:05:46 pm

If I’m reading it right, I don’t think there’s any NLE that’s going to do what you want. I have no idea if it will work but you might try Photoshop to do the cropping. What you’re asking for is how it works with images and people tend to forget it handles video as well.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2018 at 11:11:10 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jul 13, 2018 at 12:52:47 am

I’m having trouble understanding why this isn’t viable?

If you use Screenflow as your screen capture software, you can drop directly on the canvas and export.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 13, 2018 at 2:08:57 am

I think what he's after is to have the output frame size change according to the crop like it would in if you cropped an image in Photoshop - so of you started with 1920x1080 and cropped to 220x513, that's what the output movie size would be.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2018 at 2:21:36 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "I think what he's after is to have the output frame size change according to the crop like it would in if you cropped an image in Photoshop - so of you started with 1920x1080 and cropped to 220x513, that's what the output movie size would be."

That’s what Screenflow does.

Still in FCPX this process takes a few seconds, as you know, and wouldn’t seem to impede workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]