APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX crashing 2013 MP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FCPX crashing 2013 MP
on Jul 4, 2018 at 12:58:03 pm

Just checking to see if anyone else has run into this issue with FCPX. This is an 8-core 2013 Mac Pro with D-500 GPUs.

I have had a number of projects lately, where skimming media either crashes the app or crashes the entire computer. I hit this again yesterday. As I was skimming the media to pick favorites, the computer went dead and spontaneously rebooted (no kernel panic screen, though). In the minute or so prior, the a/v output image had frozen, although the viewer was still perfectly responsive. The clip filmstrip in the browser did get glitchy. This happened once yesterday and then was fine for the rest of the session.

The original media was 4K on shared storage (mainly ProResHQ from Alexa), however, I was working with FCPX proxies on local storage. There are a number of connected peripherals, including a Sonnet 10GigE adapter, CalDigit dock, 2 external displays, USB audio interface, Promise RAID, TimeMachine drive, and BMD UltraStudio Express. All software is on the most current version.

All other apps run fine on this machine without this sort of hardware issue. This includes all the Adobe apps, Resolve, and Media Composer. Up until FCPX 10.4 and later, FCPX had been pretty stable on this same machine with this same configuration.

Thoughts?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: FCPX crashing 2013 MP
on Jul 4, 2018 at 5:39:26 pm

I've had some weird crashes in FCPX 10.4 on a 2012 cMP 12 core. Things that weren't too taxing on the system. Things that's didn't cause problems in 10.34.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 4, 2018 at 6:48:58 pm

I had something very similar happen a couple of years ago. It only happened with FCPX and turned out to be a faulty graphics card.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 4, 2018 at 6:51:47 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jul 4, 2018 at 7:09:42 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "It only happened with FCPX and turned out to be a faulty graphics card."

That's what I'm leaning towards, as well. The GPUs in the 2013 MP are notoriously bad. It's just odd that something like skimming of proxies should throw it over the edge, when a full-on Resolve render is fine (albeit with gitches at times).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 4, 2018 at 7:12:42 pm

I spent hours on uninstalling, reinstalling, clean installing, etc. and because things like Resolve were working fine, I was convinced it had to be a software issue but I evenually gave up and took it to Apple to test the hardware.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]