APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Slow Motion From Stills

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lescord
Slow Motion From Stills
on Jul 2, 2018 at 3:16:48 am

Anyone? After watching tons of youtube videos, I've assemble a series of stills taken at 0.5 sec intervals of clouds in the timeline in FCPX, selected all tried to change the duration to 1 sec by ctrl D, but nothing happens when I type "1" in the time window. What am I doing wrong? Driving me nuts.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Slow Motion From Stills
on Jul 2, 2018 at 7:49:38 pm

You are typing 1 frame.

First, make sure all the stills are in the primary, or put them all in a secondary storyline.

Select them all, hit control-d, and type "1." Make sure to include the period as that will be one second (and not one frame). All the stills will then have a duration of one second.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 2, 2018 at 8:37:19 pm

Thanks Jeremy, but I continue to do something wrong.

I exported 555 photos (originals from Photo) to a folder on my desktop, and import them into the browser of FCPX. I have tried selecting them all and changing duration in the menu above and with ctrl D using of your method of "1.", then adding them to a new timeline. Nothing happens, there seems to be intermittent background rendering, but not much.

Then I try taking these same photos and place them in a new timeline, select them all there and try again to change duration, but nothing happens again.

I'm sure it's something small and stupid, but it's a real roadblock for me.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 2, 2018 at 8:49:15 pm

Can you send screengrabs?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 2, 2018 at 8:50:18 pm

Also, check your keyboard shortcuts to make sure control-d is actually mapped to duration.

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 5, 2018 at 1:32:14 am

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 9.25.03 PM
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 9.25.54 PM

These are two screen shots, and yes Ctrl D is the shortcut to change duration.

I appreciate the help! Do you see what I'm messing up?

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 5, 2018 at 8:21:00 pm

I have had occasional intermittent problems with this same issue from time to time, but I haven’t in quite some time. You can also go to the time line index select all your clips there and try the control D - set duration command - and enter your desired duration. Its a little random but sometimes the timeline index would work changing clips duration for some reason when selecting clips in the timeline would not.

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:02:05 am

Thanks Mark, but it didn't work. When selecting all files in the timeline index, the change duration option doesn't work with either control D or the menu selection under modify (greyed out).

I don't understand why a program as expensive as this can't simply handle jpg's in a sequence for slo motion video. It's kinda ridiculous, but for me it just sucks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 5, 2018 at 9:54:12 pm

After you hit “1.” Do you hit enter?

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 1:39:37 am

Yes I do hit enter and have hit enter a hundred times trying to change duration (in first the browser, then the timeline, then the browser and the timeline, then the timeline and the browser) and nothing happens.

Does this program actually work for you? Can you place a bunch of jpg's in the timeline and change their duration? Does it render in the background? Very confusing to me to say the least. I'm kinda sorry I paid for this software to say more.

Tough to review software here, but this kinda sucks.

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 1:51:13 am

I just googled "FCPX sucks" and came up with an incredible list.

I bought this program for a burgeoning interest in astrophotography. Very frustrating to have plunked down hundreds of dollars for this program, but Apple doesn't seem to care very much.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 9, 2018 at 7:22:13 pm

[Michael Lescord] "I just googled "FCPX sucks" and came up with an incredible list.
"

There are some things that require the right tool and for me timelapse always ends up in After Effects.

You are a brave man for attempting this in FCPX which is my go-to NLE :)

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 2:05:57 am

Trying to find something positive out of my "FCPX sucks" search, I noted some complainers say that FCPX has trouble handling large numbers of files. I imported 577 jpg's to the timeline and couldn't change duration, so I tried importing 20. Didn't work either.

So I'm going to throw up my hands in frustration and congratulate Apple for taking a few hundred of my hard earned bucks for the program.

The real problem is that I paid $4K for this MacBook Pro to run FCPX for video.

At least I can watch YouTube videos!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 2:53:19 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jul 6, 2018 at 2:54:25 am

Yes, this process works for me.

I do not know why it wouldn’t work.

Did you try the timeline index trick posted by Mark Smith?

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:07:47 am

I have a support call with Apple at 1300 hours Eastern tomorrow. I will post the result of this call, if it happens.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 6, 2018 at 11:54:44 am

So back to the time line index ......

1) throw some stills in the time line they will probably be the default duration of 4 seconds or something like that.

2) in the time line index, select the first still, shift click the last still, which selects all your stills. In the time line you will se a white marquee around all your stills. Move your mouse pointer From where ever it is to the time line, the marquee around the clips will turn yellow.

3) control D, enter desired still duration- entering 1 will change the duration to one frame, 2 will make 2 frame duration etc. your clips are all changed to the desired duration.

If you are going to do make stills sequences into video sequences frequently I’d either advise you generate still sequences using Compressor or whatever Adobe App and then import that .mov into X and manipulate from there OR make the stills sequence inside X, and when you have all your stills in the time line with the desired duration, make that stills sequence into a compound clip. You will find what ever you want to do with that compound clip, speed ramping, grading, cropping, much easier than dealing with your base clip of hundreds of stills. I do a fair amount of time lapse created from digital stills and I’ve been down this road....

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 2:16:27 pm

So I did everything you said with the timeline index and it didn't work.

I have selected all the stills and changed them into a compound clip, but playback even at 20x in the viewer is too slow. How do I speed it up further?

It would be desirable to know how to change duration of these stills. Thanks for trying to help me. I will post the results of my conversation with Apple support.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:45:33 pm

Are you using X version 10.4.3?

When you selected all the clips in the index - rolled the mouse over to the the time line and saw all the clip marquees turn yellow then CTRL D type in duration and nothing happened?

If you make the compound clip without changing the durtion of stills to 1 frame, then yeah, the result won’t be what you want.

I’m a little mystified why control D doesn’t allow you to change duration of those still frames. It works ths way on all my machines.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:55:03 pm

[Mark Smith] "When you selected all the clips in the index -"

I added some notes on the vimeo review page so you can follow along. I don't select clips in the index, I just selected all on the timeline (command-a).

[Mark Smith] "rolled the mouse over to the the time line and saw all the clip marquees turn yellow then CTRL D type in duration and nothing happened?"

Control-d turns the tc window to blue. When it's blue, you can add a custom duration, to which I typed "1.enter"

[Mark Smith] "I’m a little mystified why control D doesn’t allow you to change duration of those still frames. It works ths way on all my machines."

But that's exactly what I did. I am not sure what you are doing wrong. Open quicktime, select File > New Screen Recording, and record what you are doing. You can post the file here to the Cow if you don't have a streaming service such as Vimeo/Youtube/other. Click the little "disk" icon above the response text box to upload a file to this website, and copy/paste the link and reply here with that link.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 12:49:01 pm

Have you tried deleting your preferences?

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 2:24:42 pm

I did a search in FCPX for "delete preferences" and of course got no hits. How do I delete preferences?

I was able to get a choppy slo mo video by changing all the photos to a compound clip and using custom speed in the retime menu to 12000% (twelve thousand percent). Not exactly the result I'm looking for!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 2:47:45 pm

The first Google search of “FCPX delete preferences” turns up this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht203477

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:06:44 pm

Hmm, wonder why you can't search FCPX for delete preferences and get an answer? Maybe the program is not very good?

Anyways, thanks for that google search. I reset preferences according to those instructions and it had no effect.

Slo mo at 12000% is choppy and seems to change exposure for some reason. Not usable at all. Looking like I need to buy Adobe and pay subscription prices just to get slo mo.

Crazy.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:17:24 pm

[Michael Lescord] "Hmm, wonder why you can't search FCPX for delete preferences and get an answer? Maybe the program is not very good?"

Here's a search for delete preferences in Adobe Premiere. It also turns up nothing:

I am sorry you are having trouble with this, Michael, but this process works in FCPX. I use this exact process a lot, and does what you are trying to do. There is obviously something wrong, we just have to find out what it is.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:08:19 pm

Here's a screen recording that I did to show that this works with ~620 photos.

The duration of each still was 4 seconds, and then I change them to one second.

https://vimeo.com/user59786527/review/278687545/3a1009ea76

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:23:46 pm

I see the duration was changed and all of the photos on the timeline changed width to a smaller size to reflect that. I am not getting this. Also, I see you change the 4 sec interval in the viewer to 1 sec, which I do but I didn't see that you selected all of the photos in the timeline before doing that.

Again thanks for the help, and I apologize for the frustration but it really shouldn't be this hard. This is pretty basic stuff after all. Maybe I should go back to iMovie or just give up and accept the loss.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:45:52 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:46:17 pm

[Michael Lescord] "Also, I see you change the 4 sec interval in the viewer to 1 sec, which I do but I didn't see that you selected all of the photos in the timeline before doing that."

At about :13 you can see me select all (I hit command-a) and all the clips turn yellow, meaning they are selected.

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 4:20:22 pm

Ok thanks, I do the same with Cmd A. It looked like you changed duration of just one photo then it magically was applied to them all. Hopefully I can get this cleared up with Apple support in a half hour or so.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 6, 2018 at 4:33:26 pm

[Michael Lescord] "Again thanks for the help, and I apologize for the frustration but it really shouldn't be this hard. This is pretty basic stuff after all. Maybe I should go back to iMovie or just give up and accept the loss."

I understand you're frustrated but this is a system problem NOT a functionality problem, I've just tried 600 stills and it works every time.

Select all clips - Ctrl-D - 1 - return

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 4:36:26 pm

Yup, thanks been doing that over and over and over. Will post results from Apple support.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 6, 2018 at 5:25:02 pm

At this point I’d have to agree with Steve Connor that the issue is some sort of system problem, ctrl D isn’t mapped properly, maybe you need to trash your installation of X and reinstall. Something. I work with lots of digital timelapse frequently and changing duration of stills is a snap, though as I said earlier, my preferred workflow is run my stills through compressor to create an image sequence and then import the image sequence into X. I do this only because sometimes my stills number in the many thousands and that can be cumbersome in X at some point.

I’l wait to hear what apple has to say on the subject....

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 5:44:01 pm

So your right, Apple had me uninstall/reinstall FCPX and that didn't work either. I'm on hold again right now for further advice from Apple.

This program has quite limited functionality for me at the moment.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 6, 2018 at 5:47:23 pm

Have you tried changing the duration on a video clip rather than the stills using the same technique?

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 5:55:56 pm

Yes, it doesn't work there either. Thanks for this question, still on hold...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2018 at 5:57:40 pm

Do you have a custom keyboard shortcut setting selected?

Try toggling to the default.

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 6, 2018 at 6:14:24 pm

I suddenly like FCPX again, but geez is it touchy.

The problem was quite simple. After selecting all the photos in the timeline, I clicked in the viewer window, which is incorrect. All that is needed is to hit ctrl D and type the number 1 and hit enter.

Problem solved!

Thanks to all for timely responses and help.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 6, 2018 at 6:49:37 pm

[Michael Lescord] "I suddenly like FCPX again, but geez is it touchy."

I don't think it's FCPX's fault that it didn't correct your mistake for you!

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 6, 2018 at 9:45:18 pm

YOu should have clear sailing now.
Depending on hardware, X can handle varying amounts of stills. If you have some maxxed out you’ll handle a larger mass of stills than if you have a Mac mini. Sometimes I need to do work on a 2012 iMac which will cope with around 1000 stills in a project before its gets sticky . This is what drove me to make pro res stills sequences in compressor and then move those sequences into X. Typically I might be working with stills sequences that involve several thousand stills if not more .

You should have ‘clear sailing’ now that you are over this hurdle .

Return to posts index

Michael Lescord
on Jul 7, 2018 at 12:27:49 am

Luckily I knew this was only a glitch and continued amassing my libraries at sunset into the night. I'm processing these files now and seeing things described online but something I can reproduce and physically verify.

Clear sailing indeed, only with the horizon in sight!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]