APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can Final Cut Render a Series of Stills into a QuickTime Movie?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kozick
Can Final Cut Render a Series of Stills into a QuickTime Movie?
on Jun 13, 2018 at 11:29:12 pm

Hello,

I'm presently generating a number of rendered PNGs from Maxon C4D. The final output format I want is QuickTime. I'm currently importing the PNGs into After Effects and outputting them as a QuickTime movie.

My question is if it is possible to do the same thing After Effects is doing by taking a series of stills and outputting them as a QuickTime movie in Final Cut?

Please let me know if Final Cut is capable of rendering a series of stills into a QuickTime Movie, and if so how to do it.

Thanks!

James

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Can Final Cut Render a Series of Stills into a QuickTime Movie?
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:09:21 am

You can do - but it's a bit odd way.
Import the pngs, select them all, add to a timeline, select all again and set duration of the clip items to 1.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jun 14, 2018 at 11:49:43 am

You might be better off using compressor. I use that to make image sequences out of piles of stills taken for time lapses . I ‘ve done the same thing in FCPX but compressor is better, especially as the number of stills increases.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 14, 2018 at 3:00:27 pm

Any NLE should be able to do this. When you set up the bin that will hold all the stills, pre-set the duration of all stills for one or two frames, whichever works for you, then import the stills from a folder. Pre-set the timeline for the codec you want, go to the bin, select>all, drop them into the timeline, play/render.

One thing to watch out for is to make sure the individual source files follow a consistent number/naming scheme. If you have 4000 stills, frame one out of your 3-d animation renders should be named animation_0001, and not "Animation_1". Every ten frames you'd have a discontinuity in frame order, unless you start with enough zeroes.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jun 14, 2018 at 3:41:47 pm

Yes of course any NLE should handle this. I think you might find however as the volume and image size of the stills increases, NLE's may become less cooperative and efficient. So if you have 2500 4K stills, FCPX will do the job but its going to get a little cranky. If you make the still sequence in compressor, output as a pro res file, bring that into FCPX the process will be smoother. You can always slice and dice that file in X, retime, speed ramp, whatever, and the effort will be many times easier than doing it all in X.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 14, 2018 at 3:49:30 pm

[Mark Susko]Any NLE should be able to do this. When you set up the bin that will hold all the stills, pre-set the duration of all stills for one or two frames, whichever works for you, then import the stills from a folder. Pre-set the timeline for the codec you want, go to the bin, select>all, drop them into the timeline, play/render.

But FCP is NOT any NLE.
You can not preset a still duration when you import stills!!!

I think finally everyone agrees that you shouldn't use image sequences in FCP. ;-)

Spherico

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 14, 2018 at 3:56:21 pm

Didn't we used to be able to do this task in QT Pro? Thought I'd read that someplace.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 14, 2018 at 4:00:04 pm

Yes, as long as this option is available it's the best way.
"Best" since you can save the movie as 'referenced' - change any frame in the sequence and the change is in your movie.

Spherico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]