APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Batch changing metadata on exported mp4s

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Young
Batch changing metadata on exported mp4s
on Jun 13, 2018 at 9:51:07 pm

I've exported over 1000 versions of a video, differentiated by an opening take where the talent addresses the viewer by name. So each file is named by the person's name to whom the video is addressed. If I quicklook the mp4, I see the person's name at the top of the video. If I open it in Quicktime Player, They all have the same name (Julie) at the top of the video. I assume this is because the Title or Description field in the metadata was not updated on export.

So my question is, does anyone know a way to batch change this metadata so I don't have to re-export 1000 videos or recompress? Either pull the name and put it into the fields automatically, or worst case, let me just change it by pasting in the names to the fields?

Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Batch changing metadata on exported mp4s
on Jun 13, 2018 at 10:13:53 pm

I don't know about a batch, but you can change the title metadata name in VLC.

Open the file. Command-i for media information, change the title, and hit "Save Metadata".

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 14, 2018 at 2:08:14 am

Just tried that. I change the title and description, hit Save Metadata and it seems to work, but when I close and reopen the changes aren't saved.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:19:27 am

You can use AppleScript/Automator to do that.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 14, 2018 at 1:52:44 pm

I opened Automator but didn't see anything in the Movies actions that would accomplish this. After more research, I stumbled upon the app Subler that I think will be good enough. You can queue up movies in the app and set it to pass through video and audio, and strip metadata. It does create a new file, but it is fast. After this, opening in Quicktime player shows the filename in the header, which is fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]