APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Add default transition to multiple stacked clips.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Durso
Add default transition to multiple stacked clips.
on Jun 12, 2018 at 11:30:38 am

I have a full sized clip in the main timeline that shows a wide view of an entire dance stage. On the next track up I have a clip that is inset in the lower corner of the screen where zooms and pans are used to show individual dancers. I then stack a lower third over them at the beginning. I will be creating about 60 compound clips for this. My question is: is there a key or click/key combination that will allow me to apply the default audio/video transition to all three clips at the beginning of the opened compound clip? That would be a lot more efficient than applying the transition to each clip individually 60 times. I’m coming from FCP 6 so I’m learning the terminology and accommodating the “same but different” way of doing things on a current project (of course).
Thanks!
Pete D.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Add default transition to multiple stacked clips.
on Jun 12, 2018 at 12:45:02 pm

Not 100% sure I follow what you’re doing but... you can select multiple clips and apply the default transition. Usually if you have a stack of clips, you’d bundle them into a compound clip and apply a single transition to that.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Peter Durso
on Jun 12, 2018 at 3:38:13 pm

Jeff,
Thanks for the fast response. In the past (forgive me!) I was able to either right click or option click, I forget which, and a drop down would have a string of options, one of which was to apply the default transition. If I had my cursor over the left edge of the track, the transition was applied to the two tracks there, as well as to the Lower Third Scroll on the third track. One Click.
Am I to understand that I can apply the transition to the compound (container?) clip, unlike Nests previously?
As you can see I'm still in the steep learning phase part. Thanks again!
Pete D.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 13, 2018 at 8:51:28 am
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jun 13, 2018 at 8:57:55 am

Hmmm - i don't recall what you're describing ever being true in FCPX. Not having tracks, how would it know what clips above or below should have transitions applied? Maybe I missed something? "Nests" were things in legacy FCPX weren't they? Haven't seen FCP since FCPX came out so my recollection of that app is a more than a little vague.

A compound clip is just a group of clips bundled together and behaves like any other normal clip. You can apply transitions and effects to it as you see fit.

----

Return to posts index

Peter Durso
on Jun 13, 2018 at 11:39:37 am

I know I’m a dinosaur but I had a perfectly well functioning 2008 Mac Pro that bit the dust and I took the leap to a 2017 5k iMac with FCP X. The lack of DVDSP and the different paradigm from legacy FCP is killing me. In legacy FCP I could make a nest, go into the nest, edit the beginning points of the clips in there if needed without the mess that now happens if I select a short range at the beginning of one clip in the compound clip and then delete it. The issue here is that in Olde days FCP I could go to the beginning (left edge) of the stacked clips (whether they were in a nest or on the main timeline) and right click and there was a choice to apply the default fade. That action went across all clips at the left edge, even if one of the tracks was a tad shorter. This is driving me bats because as I edit I keep making a right click at the beginning of a bunch of clips and I get the new selection of actions-and none of them is to apply the default fade. Right now if I have two stacked video clips and a lower third above those so far all I see that I can do is select each clip individually and go to the menu at the top of the page and apply the fade. If I select all of the clips at once and do that is still seems stupid clunky. I can do it to the compound clip itself, but again I want to be able to trim the beginning of one of the clips to start a little later occasionally. When I apply the fade on the compound clip it just happens at the beiginning of the compound clip regardless of what is inside it. This might not bug me so much except that I need to do this at the beginning of about 60 clips and it seems clunky. That’s why I feel I’m missing something. This can’t be an unusual workflow.
Thanks for your patience.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 13, 2018 at 12:07:11 pm

All I can say is that it’s pointless confusing FCPX with FCP. It is what is. Personally, I changed over day one and haven’t looked back.

Going back to the edge thing, I can’t say I ever used in FCP so it’s not something I’ve ever missed. i guess it could be implemented but they’d have to somehow allow for if one of the items below was a storyline instead of a clip. Or an audio clip instead of a video clip. We traditionally put audio under the primary storyline through forc of habit but there’s no reason you can’t stack audio above it.

Anyway, annoying as it might be, I guess Apple haven’t missed the option either. You can submit feedback and feature requests from within the app.

----

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2018 at 12:42:17 pm

Why not copy and paste opacity handles or key frames?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]