APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

60fps to 30fps project -- is 50% really the only option

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzi P.
60fps to 30fps project -- is 50% really the only option
on May 17, 2018 at 1:50:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I get the 40% to 24fps and 50% to 30fps speed adjustments to ensure smooth 60fps playback footage. But - I would like to have my footage play back faster than 50% -- are there other percentages that cleanly convert? I'm afraid my math skills aren't superb.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 60fps to 30fps project -- is 50% really the only option
on May 17, 2018 at 4:56:44 pm

Are you saying you want your 60 fps footage to play at normal speed in a 30fps timeline?

Return to posts index

Suzi P.
on May 17, 2018 at 5:46:19 pm

Hi - I'd like my 60fps footage to play slowed down but not quite as slow as the suggested 50%. Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 17, 2018 at 6:11:19 pm

Sure.

Select the clip in the timeline, hit command-r to bring up the retime controls, and drag the right side to fit.

You may want to turn on Optical Flow and let the clips be analyzed for smoother motion. Sometime it works, sometimes it looks more warpy. To turn this on, select the retimed clip, find the little speedometer in the Viewer, click it, and choose Video Quality > Optical Flow (or Modify menu > Retime > Video Quality > Optical Flow)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Suzi P.
on May 18, 2018 at 12:58:17 pm

Thanks, Jeremy. Do you happen to know if people ever have success not following the 50% 60fps to 30fps rule of thumb? For some reason, this has been really hard to track down online!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2018 at 1:12:07 pm

I retime footage in almost every project, not following the 1/2 frame rate rule. With technology like Optocal flow, it certainly helps, but the success of optical flow is wholly dependent on your footage. Sometimes, on fine detailed fast moving footage, optical flow simply can’t track and interpolate all the detail. I also use the Timewarp feature ofnAfter Effects to slow down footage, of optical flow isn’t working. Compressor also has more fine tuned control as well.

Long story short, yes, I use non-halved frame rate retimed footage a lot.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on May 18, 2018 at 1:17:07 pm

I've had a pretty good success rate. It doesn't -always- work, but most of the time it's really great.

In many of the cases where it's been spotty, the trouble has been with footage that's been modified previously - for instance, shot at 24p and added to a 29.97 timeline (or vice versa), and then exported and re-used. In those cases, you've either got duplicate frames interspersed, or frames missing where the jump in action varies between frames.

Where's Joe when you need him? :^)

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]