APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How to trim just the media in a project with handles - any options besides Worx4X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How to trim just the media in a project with handles - any options besides Worx4X?
on May 12, 2018 at 11:30:12 pm

I am working on a massive project, and I want ot work on a short segment while traveling. I know the consolidate media option in FCP X takes the entire clip and not just what's in a given project. Looking around online, I saw this product mentioned: Worx4X

Anyone here have experience with it? Are there any other software options besides this program?

thanks in advance....

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: How to trim just the media in a project with handles - any options besides Worx4X?
on May 13, 2018 at 1:32:30 am

Worxs4X is a great tool and I use it all the time. An alternative is to round trip the project to Resolve and get it to do the media management, which is what I did before I started using Worx4X. Both do a good job although I use Worx4 just because it's built for the job and there's little less messing around than bringing the XML into Resolve.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: How to trim just the media in a project with handles - any options besides Worx4X?
on May 13, 2018 at 5:55:39 am

Does Work4X program change the time code at all of clips? Can I consolidate a program with Work4X, work on it, and then later use that project back in my original library?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 13, 2018 at 7:44:32 am
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on May 13, 2018 at 7:47:29 am

Not sure I follow changing the Timecode?

Workx4X is an archiving tool so it consolidates everything into one spot, copies the media trimming it to only include what's used in the timeline, and writes an XML that you can import back into whatever FCPX library you want. The clips created are completely independent copies of the originals so yes, you can import back to your original library if you want - just like when you round trip to Resolve except I think Worx4X is a little better working with the XML files than Resolve is - certainly it handles FCPXM1.8 where Resolve doesn't yet.

----

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 14, 2018 at 12:12:59 am

So, I wanna make sure I have the work flow down....I'm about to go out of town. I'm doing some edits on a 3 hour film. I want to take about 40 minutes worth of edited material with me.

Should I put that all in its own project, then consolidate with Work4X, then work on it off a travel hard drive. It'll be its own independent library, just those 40 minutes. And then when I come back...I can put the edited projects from the travel library back into the original library, in the library for the entire project. Do I have that workflow right?

Thanks for the help....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2018 at 6:21:17 pm

This may make relinking a bit tough later.

Why not just proxy that scene or timeline and take the proxy media?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 14, 2018 at 9:13:51 pm

I agree with Jeremy, Workx4X is generally used for final archiving or I'll use it to trim down media before I start an edit but in your shoes I'd take the 40 mins you want to work on as proxy files. Workx4X and/or trimming through resolve will create brand new copies of the footage so there's no linking back to the original footage later.

But if you don't need to do relink, then Workx4X or Resolve are the way to trim media down to just the used clips + handles. Then re-import the resulting XML and carry on.

----

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 15, 2018 at 6:52:39 pm

Good advice. What's the best way to make proxies and then work with them for a project I'm already deep into with original media?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]