APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Playback & editing very slow on new computer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandy Leonardo
Playback & editing very slow on new computer
on May 9, 2018 at 5:21:20 pm
Last Edited By Mandy Leonardo on May 9, 2018 at 5:21:37 pm

Hi, looking for help to figure out why my playback and editing is so slow on my new computer.

I went from a macbook pro to the air. The processor is 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7. I'm editing on an external drive and turned off rendering during playback. Doing very simple edits...no titles, graphics, etc.

Would love to know what else I should check to figure out why it's running so slow.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
Re: Playback & editing very slow on new computer
on May 10, 2018 at 2:05:34 am

What's the codec? Frame size? How is your external drive connected to your MBA?

K

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on May 10, 2018 at 3:39:05 pm

Codec is Apple Pro Res 422. Frame size I'm working with is 1080x1080 & 1280x720. The drive is connected through the USB port.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
on May 11, 2018 at 3:29:47 am

Hmmm... with ProRes 422 shouldn't be a problem. What is the available RAM on your MBA? The drive is a single, USB 3 self powered drive?
Generally, ProRes 422 on a external RAID would be the best. And 16GB RAM. Can you post a screenshot of your 'About this Mac'? Would like to know what GPU and RAM you are running.
I live in Singapore. Time zone +8GMT, that's why the late replies:)

K

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on May 11, 2018 at 4:31:46 pm

8GB of Ram and not sure what the USB port is but it's whatever is standard that comes on the Air. Here are some screen shots...

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on May 21, 2018 at 9:57:41 pm

Bump. I'm still having these issues. Anyone have any idea how to help? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Don Connors
on May 24, 2018 at 10:37:55 am

I hate to ask this obvious question, but is your Playback View set for Better Performance? That was a must when I was using a MBA.

Don

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Jun 12, 2018 at 10:52:13 pm

Yes, it's set to better performance

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jun 12, 2018 at 11:47:28 pm

8 GB of RAM is very marginal and it certainly can cause FCPX to grind to a crawl. Once the RAM fills up in a project, the memory swapping with the disk is really slow. Short of adding more memory, make sure no other programs are loaded. Before I got 40 GB of RAM, I would have to close FCPX before using compressor.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on May 22, 2018 at 9:12:52 am

[Mandy Leonardo] "I went from a macbook pro to the air...I'm editing on an external drive and turned off rendering during playback. Doing very simple edits...no titles, graphics, etc... figure out why it's running so slow."

Depending on the two computers, it's possible the MBA is just slower. Some MacBook Pros are quad core and all MBAs are dual core.

Another possibility is your external drive is USB 2.0. Those only work at slow USB 2.0 rates, even when connected to a USB 3.0 port. But if it's the same drive you used on the MBP, it doesn't explain that.

You can check the external drive performance by running Black Magic disk test. Be sure to select the external drive in the menus before running it, else it will use the internal SSD Drive. Do that and post your results here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=1...

Editing ProRes (even at only 1080p) implies a higher I/O rate since the file sizes are about 6x larger than equivalent H264.

You can take a small sample of that project or one clip and create a test library on the internal SSD drive, then check editing speed. If it becomes fast, then it's an I/O problem and the solution is get a faster external drive.

How was your 1080p ProRes material generated? Is it possible it was 4k H264 and you're using ProRes proxies at 1080p? Maybe the FCPX viewer is not switch to proxy and it's trying to edit 4k H264? That would be slow on a MBA.

If the 1080p ProRes came from, say, an Atmos recorder on a DSLR, it should be pretty quick to edit on a MBA, unless it's been hobbled by a slow USB 2.0 external drive.

If there is any uncertainty on the characteristics of the source material, you can examine this with a tool like MediaInfo or Invisor:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file-inspector/id442947586?mt...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 23, 2018 at 7:13:53 pm

FCPX is very dependent on the GPU and the Intel one on the Air isn't great, your previous MBP probably had a faster GPU.

Definitely worth doing a speed test on the drive as well.

Return to posts index

Fred Turner
on Jun 1, 2018 at 4:06:35 pm

[Steve Connor] "FCPX is very dependent on the GPU and the Intel one on the Air isn't great, your previous MBP probably had a faster GPU.

Definitely worth doing a speed test on the drive as well."

Intel HD Graphics 6000 should be fine, though, especially since we're talking ProRes, and don't even need any QuickSync functionality.

I agree about speed test on the drive. Also, Mandy, I'd recommend copying some of that footage to your internal drive (may have to clear some space first...looks pretty full) and testing there for comparison. ProRes @ 1080p and 720p shouldn't be so demanding that a "current" MacBook Air and decent enough USB3 HD cannot handle it. One other thing, try arranging your windows so that you can have Activity Monitor up in the background while you attempt to view/scrub, then note if it looks like your processor cores are fully pegged. If so, you may be running out of CPU power (although that would seem unlikely to me).

Return to posts index

Fred Turner
on Jun 1, 2018 at 4:10:13 pm

Whoops...somehow missed Joe Marler's post during my initial read. Obviously most of my post is rehashing what he already said. ☺ Let us know what you find!

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Jun 12, 2018 at 10:56:30 pm

It's the same external drive i was using on the MBP. Also, when I first got this computer, it was playing fine. It's all of sudden just getting worse and worse.

"How was your 1080p ProRes material generated? Is it possible it was 4k H264 and you're using ProRes proxies at 1080p? Maybe the FCPX viewer is not switch to proxy and it's trying to edit 4k H264? That would be slow on a MBA."

How do I determine this? I'm sorry but I don't know much about this so just need more explanation. We shot the footage on a Panasonic GH4

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Jun 12, 2018 at 10:59:02 pm

This is the drive I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Photography-STDR1000100/dp...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]