APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How can I share libraries between drives?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How can I share libraries between drives?
on Mar 13, 2018 at 2:11:59 pm

I want to work on a project. Sometimes at home and sometimes away. In FCP 7, I could just share a project file but, in FCP X, everything is in the library. Is there any way to just share projects between hard drives rather than copying over the entire library each time? There must be but I dont know it.

Thanks in advance (as always)....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How can I share libraries between drives?
on Mar 13, 2018 at 2:21:31 pm

Keep the media and cache outside of your library so they are smaller and use them as you would an fcp7 file.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 13, 2018 at 6:29:30 pm

Can't you set up the project/library on the portable drive and just boot library from there? Thats what I do.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Mar 13, 2018 at 11:40:48 pm

Both good answers here. I can do those. I was just wondering if perhaps there was a way to keep everything in the library and just update projects. Thanks for the quick answers!

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 15, 2018 at 2:25:23 pm

I think it might be easier (and safer) to keep the library intact on a portable drive rather than moving projects about. Just my opinion however.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 15, 2018 at 11:38:55 pm

I routinely work with mobile and desktop setups. I usually keep a copy of media on a portable drive and SAN synced with chronosync. Keeping everything on one drive has a bit of an advantage in that it’s easoer to manage, but performance may not always be optimal.

As far as safety, having a portable and desktop setup is more safe as everything is in two places at least.

Chronosync, or similar, helps keep all the media and versions in sync between disparate drives.

Return to posts index

David Cooper
on Mar 14, 2018 at 9:41:12 am

There are few options.

1) Depending on the size of your project and the type of footage you could keep everything on an external.
2) I use dropbox or resilio sync to keep my libraries in sync between computers but keep media external on portable hard drives or copies on each machine.
3) If my footage is too large for the above solutions I convert to proxies using the library settings to ensure all proxies are stored on an external drive. I can then carry this around, edit on whichever system I am using (with dropbox/resilio sync keeping my libraries in sync). I then just need to make sure that when I export, I am using the machine that has access to all of the footage.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Mar 15, 2018 at 3:21:00 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the info.

I'm still learning FCPX, so when I went to move my libraries to dropbox and my media to an external drive I was surprised to see that the first library I was moving was 9GB. I'd thought that the library would be a more manageable size so I could routinely leave all libraries on dropbox as you suggested, but my broadband won't handle all that traffic.

Then I tried Media/Consolidate and that seemed to fix the problem of too big a library.

But I' surprised that an otherwise small project I've used for learning has a library that is 1.1 GB. Why would it be that large if all original and optimized media are on my external drive?

GW

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Mar 15, 2018 at 3:47:06 pm

One guess is render files adding up over time.....Did you delete those with the delete generated library files?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 15, 2018 at 4:18:21 pm

You have to move the cache as well.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Mar 15, 2018 at 4:54:15 pm

Thanks. I'll do that.

A related problem is that when I moved libraries into a dropbox folder I later found that they had returned to the Movies folder. How can I move them to dropbox? Or can I?

GW

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 15, 2018 at 11:33:48 pm

I would imagine that has to do with how your Dropbox is setup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]