APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Tranferring Edits to Identical Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Carden
Tranferring Edits to Identical Library
on Feb 13, 2018 at 1:45:49 pm

Let's say I have an FCX project library on my desk, and copy it to my laptop. If I make edits to the project library on my laptop, how can I transfer those over to the project library on my desktop, without moving the entire library file?
Can I just copy over the CurrentVersion.flexolibrary file? Or is there something else?

I'm basically looking for the equivalent of the Final Cut Pro 7 project file, so I can manage video projects on multiple computers without having to transfer 100GB files back and forth.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Cooper
Re: Tranferring Edits to Identical Library
on Feb 13, 2018 at 5:21:33 pm

If I am switching between machines or sharing the workload with another editor I store my media externally from the library with either a copy on the machines being used or a live copy of media on a hard drive and a backup stored elsewhere.

I then keep the library on dropbox or use something like resilio sync to keep it up to date across machines.

The only negative is that when you open up the library on the other machine you have to relink the footage but this is much less time consuming than transferring everything over.

Having the library and projects open on more than one machine totally ruins the sync as it is not made for a collaborative workflow in this way but other than that it works great.

I have swapped the relevant projects files and flexolibrary but often things get missed and it tends not to work too reliably in my experience.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Tranferring Edits to Identical Library
on Feb 14, 2018 at 2:34:41 am

Store your media and cache outside of the library and you can save on transfer times.

I do this often and use chronosync to sync both media and library files between a probable system and desktop system. This way, if I generate any media files through Ae renders and such, all of that is synced as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]