APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

4k Projects edited in Proxy-Does Compressor use 4k as starting point?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
4k Projects edited in Proxy-Does Compressor use 4k as starting point?
on Feb 11, 2018 at 7:38:55 pm

I am now using 4k files, but have to work in proxy with my 2011 iMac. The export process is out to 1080p through Compressor. I am assuming that Compressor starts with the full 4k images and then squeezes them down. Is that correct? I noticed when capturing an image (jpeg) by using Share I needed to choose View Original not Proxy in order to export a full resolutions still.
While proxy works, I think a new 27 inch loaded iMac is the next step for me.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: 4k Projects edited in Proxy-Does Compressor use 4k as starting point?
on Feb 11, 2018 at 9:56:33 pm

If you edit in proxy, you have to switch to optimised/original before you export. FCPX 10.4 will give you an on-screen reminder about this, just in case you forget. I’ve never had to edit in proxy mode yet, even with 4k on my 2012 iMac but I’m reasonably certain sending to Compressor will do the same. If you send it the proxies, that’s what it will use instead of the 4k original files.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: 4k Projects edited in Proxy-Does Compressor use 4k as starting point?
on Feb 13, 2018 at 3:41:35 am

Thanks Jeff. I would not have guessed that it would use the proxy, instead of original. At some point, I will see if I can verify that experimentally. I am guessing the compressor will require more time if it is using the original 4k vs the proxy files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]