APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Customizing Keyframes & Official Location for feature requests?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
turner hall
Customizing Keyframes & Official Location for feature requests?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:13:12 pm

I'm a long time Vegas and FCP user and have started learning FCP X to see what its like. I completed Steve Martin's Ripple Training course (videos) and feel like I have a good grasp on the software, it's definitely less complex and featured than other NLEs, good thing for new editors - bad thing for experienced editors.

Has anyone figured out if you can customize the way keyframes behave? It seems like the only interpolation option is "ease in - ease out". I for one like the traditional linear interpolation for animating crops and pans in slideshows.

Also, is there an official location for feature requests/complaints to Apple. Somewhere that Apple is likely to look at. If we are going to be paying beta testers, there ought to be some line of communication with the development team (even if its only one-sided communication).

Overall, I think the software is a move in the right direction for NLE (the pluraleyes-like clip syncing is amazing), but there are currently too many deal-breakers for most editors.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Customizing Keyframes & Official Location for feature requests?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:19:54 pm

I completely agree that it would be great to have a way of aggregating sensible (as opposed to ranting) feature requests from people (paying beta testers!) who have actually bothered to work through the app in detail.

Anybody else in favour of this who could suggest how it might be done?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

turner hall
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:48:41 pm

I agree. At this point, we can assume that Apple is aware of the major missing features like XML export and multicamera editing, but some of the smaller features that are equally important to many of our workflows and editing styles that need to be added... Apple may not even realize that many editors want some of these features back (i.e. changing the way keyframes interpolate)

There's this http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html, but FCP X isn't one of the version options yet and IMO there's still a benefit of a location where these requests can be public submitted, commented on, and prioritized.

Ranting is of no use now, its time to provide constructive feedback so the dev team can get there act together and revitalize the FCP brand.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:55:26 pm

[turner hall] "Ranting is of no use now, its time to provide constructive feedback"

I totally agree - my fear is that there is so much ranting (an unprecedented amount by any standards) that the signal to noise ratio is utterly out of whack. I can see a situation where Apple hear the noise but fail to pick up on the faint signal! That's always assuming that they bother to listen at all.

My feeling is that the official feedback site will be swamped with nonsense quite as much as the COW would have been had there not been a separate forum for more reasoned evaluation!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Jul 3, 2011 at 2:52:21 pm

[turner hall] "but FCP X isn't one of the version options ye"

That has changed, it is now the ONLY option!

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:18:07 pm

Turner,
I may be incorrect but I'm thinking that you can alter keyframes in Motion.
The new rigging and publishing feature of FCPX-Motion means a FCPX-Motion workflow is MUCH more tightly integrated than in a PPro-AE workflow

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/smartin/story/motion_5_top_5_new_fea...

'...right inside of Final Cut Pro X, the editor can make changes to the Motion project without ever launching Motion!'

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

turner hall
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:26:23 pm

I'm not sure if you can rig options for the cropping and "Ken Burns" effects. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can only rig options for effects and transitions found in the effects/transition browser.

Being an avid After Effects user, I never took the time to learn Motion. I am in the process of watching some Motion 5 tutorials now, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised and find a solution.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:08:29 pm

[turner hall] "you can only rig options for effects and transitions found in the effects/transition browser. "

Yes, you are absolutely right about this - Final Cut templates can be Opened in Motion 5 but as yet you can't send any of your timeline or browser choices there.

I very much welcome the signs of closer integration with Motion - I've already used it to make a Custom title that fades in and out (see my tip below somewhere). I have to say it wasn't at all quick going either way - I was expecting something very fast and it definitely chugged a good deal on my MBP. I think it's great that Apple haven't tried to build Motion into FCPX which would have been a disaster I think.

For many things I have found Motion to be much quicker and simpler than AE and its integration with earlier iterations of FCP while not perfect were pretty handy, if you remembered not to embed the Motion effect in the timeline which always ended badly (and looked far worse than if you rendered a new clip out of Motion, primarily because Motion could do floating point calculations that FCP at the time wasn't capable of, but is now!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:09:36 pm

Of course you can control keyframes...

Just go to the viewer panel, choose a keyframe and then right click on it.
The you can change from Linear, Smooth, and Hold.

Its good to read the manual some times...

Return to posts index

turner hall
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:42:19 pm

Believe me I've tried right clicking on them and nothing comes up.

Has anyone else tried this for cropping and effects keyframes. I've tried right clicking on the keyframes in the "Inspector" and "Video Animation" menu, neither results in more choices when right clicking.

Right clicking on audio fade handles does provide more choices though...

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:47:33 pm

You make something wrong.... see here.

Return to posts index

turner hall
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:58:36 pm

Thanks for the screenshot John, I was using the "Crop Effect" instead of the "Transform Effect".

Return to posts index

Chad von Nau
on Dec 31, 2011 at 5:43:37 am

I'm animating the position of a clip and the keyframe interpolation is eased by default. I tried right-clicking on the keyframes, just like in the screenshot, and it says linear, even though it's not. I wound up having to place the keyframes "outside" the in and out points so that I could get some motion at the beginning and end of the clip. The final result worked, but was difficult to control.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:23:53 pm

Hello! I was reading this post because I need to HOLD some keyframes and can't find the way to do it! :(
I read that you right click the keyframe in the video inspector window, but i don't have a right click and can't find a way to do it, not even control click or anything....I also tried doing it in the video animation tab in teh timeline...nothing.
can anyone tell me how to? can't find it anywhere....so frustrating!

thank you all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]