APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX XML to Da Vinci Resolve missing clips issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
leigh pugin
FCPX XML to Da Vinci Resolve missing clips issues
on Jan 11, 2018 at 6:35:03 pm

Hi All

Hi everyone

I have edited a full 47min documentary in FCPX with the Sony A7's MP4 files.
The footage is shot in 4k and I have only created proxy media with them.
I have also copied my files to the library I am working in.
So I have the library containing my original media & proxy files and I still have the original rushes in a separate folder on a separate drive.
My XML does not work in resolve and it has to.
I have read and seen that it is best to convert the Sony A7's MP4 files before editing.
What can I do in this situation when I have already completed the video?

Keep me posted.

Any assistance would be great from anyone out there.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: FCPX XML to Da Vinci Resolve missing clips issues
on Jan 11, 2018 at 10:22:36 pm

whats actually happening in Resolve? Missing Media, Media not relinking or actual clips not showing up on the timeline? And what have you done in terms of preparing the project before sending it.

My number one thought would be that if the media is internally managed, change the project settings to externally managed and consolidate the clips to a folder outside of the library.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Leigh Pugin
on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:35:07 am

Thanks for your response.

Really appreciate it. When attempting to import my FCPX XML to Resolve it cannot locate the media. A message appears on screen eg: 576 of 1117 clips were not yet found. I have tried searching all folders eg: FCPX Library folders and not successful. When clicking ok only my istock footage appears. When you refer to change the project settings to externally managed I go to Library Properties, then click on Consolidate. I am not familiar with this process and I am not sure how to managed and consolidate the clips to a folder outside of the library.

Can you elaborate on this process.

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 12, 2018 at 1:27:39 pm

It's most likely because your MP4 camera files are buried inside a hierarchy of card folders. And they probably all start as C0001 and go up from there. Thus, you do not have unique file names. The exact path probably isn't correctly interpreted in the FCPXML. Consolidating the sequence and writing new ProRes media is probably the best bet at this point. Then send a new FCPXML from that sequence. Check the FCPX Manual for how to consolidate.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:41:24 pm

One trick for seamless media management within Resolve is to bring all the media in first, then the XML. If all the media doesn’t have unique names then make sure to tell Resolve to keep the folder structure as it brings everything in. Once that’s done, import the XML.

To change your media storage location choose File>Library Properties then in the info panel, change the media storage option to the location of your choice. Then click on the consolidate button to move all the internally managed media to there.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]